70

-Harry

I weave through seemingly endless blocks of Queens towards the neighborhood of Corona, taking an unnecessary turn every few blocks. Though I know it would be nearly impossible for someone to tail me when I'm on my bike, especially in heavy traffic, I know extra caution is still needed. I can't let anyone follow me to Arthur's flat.

When I finally stop in front of the red brick building and park my bike, I hear Nate's words echoing in my head..

'I hope she's worth it.'

Jogging up the stone steps, I meet an older woman coming out of the building and brush past her into the foyer.

The second I'm inside my body is instantly knocked back as arms wrap around my shoulders, hugging tightly.

The smell of strawberries hits me.

Everly.

My arms instinctively move around her waist, holding her to me.

"Harry, I was so worried! Are you hurt?!"

"I'm fine love." I sigh, immediately feeling a sense of relief now that she's with me.

"You were gone so long! I wanted to come after you, but..."

"I'm guessing Arthur all but tied you to a chair. I'm alright.... really."

She let's go of me enough to lean back and look over my face. I study her own closely; it being wet with tears, her eyes red. She's been crying, for quite awhile by the look of it.

"You're not alright." She observes quietly. "What happened?"

Looking in her eyes, I suddenly feel as if I can't hold it back anymore. I was so angry, but now that I'm with her, the anger is gone. It being replaced by sadness. Sadness that overwhelms me.

I choke back a sob and her hands fly up, cupping my face softly.

"They were waiting for me.. at the gym. They shot Coach. He's..." I pause as my voice breaks, "He's gone."

"What? No." She shakes her head, not wanting to believe my words.

I exhale deeply, feeling tears run down my cheeks.

"Harry, I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry."

Her arms move back around me, clutching onto me tightly. I rest my forehead on her shoulder, trying to compose myself.

"This is all my..."

"Don't even say it." I look back over her face. "You're not the one to blame for this."

She nods, but I can tell it's only to appease me. She feels responsible. But she wasn't the one in control, she's never been the one in control. She's just a pawn, same as I am now.

Carter is the one controlling all of it.

"We have to stop him Everly."

"I know.. and we will. For my mother, for Maya, for Coach."

"Do we have a plan?"

"Yeah." She takes my hand, pulling me towards the lift. "Come on."

I follow her into the lift, keeping a firm grip on her hand. It feeling as if it is the only thing anchoring me.

She is the only thing anchoring me.

I turn her towards me as the lift ascends, ducking down and pressing a slow soft kiss to her lips. One she reciprocates gently.

The way she faintly exhales as our lips part makes me think she feels the same as I do.

I rest my forehead against hers, my voice taking on a low quiet tone.. "You're worth it."

"Harry..."

"You are."

"I'm not. I..."

"Won't have you fight me on it. I just wanted you to hear me say it."

"And I have something I want you to hear me say." She takes a breath as the lift doors open, "I.."

"I think I have something." Arthurs voice cuts her off, it sounding more hopeful then ever as he stands on the other side of the lift doors.

"What is it?" I ask, slightly annoyed at the interruption.

He holds up the cellphone in his hand. "I just got a tip. This could be what I've been waiting for."

"A tip from who?" Everly asks as we follow Arthur into his flat.

"My contact close to Carter." He walks over to one of the large maps hung up on the wall, pointing at a spot in Brooklyn.

I walk over to it to get a closer look.

"Red Hook Terminal." I read off the small letters barely legible next to his finger.

"There's a container ship leaving there tonight at 11:30. It's one of Kimura's."

"What else did your contact say?" Everly asks, stepping up next to me.

"That we should come prepared."

I glance over at Arthur, "Prepared?"

He walks over to a table in the corner of the room, pickup up a bullet proof vest and tossing it towards me. I catch it, surprised at how heavy it is as he picks up a gun off the table and attaches a silencer to it. 

"I think it's time Aiden Carter finds out he's not the only player in this game."