59

-Harry

Cautious eyes glance over my shoulder, quickly look left and right down the long narrow hallway.

"I wasn't followed." I say without thinking.

He nods, narrowing his eyes at me questioningly before holding the door open and stepping back. I walk past him and into the flat, looking around as he closes the door behind us.

A small telly sat in the corner is the only thing you'd typically find in the small living room. There's no couch, no coffee table, nothing to make it feel like home. Instead there's pop up tables, littered with different computers and paperwork. There isn't art or family pictures hung on the walls, there's large display boards. Newspaper clippings cover the surface of them, along with random pictures of boats and buildings. What space that's left is peppered with scraps of paper, scribbled on with endless notes. Long bits of string are held in with pushpins, going from one article to a certain picture or note.

Taking a breath, I shift my focus across the room, to the man taking a seat in one of the two chairs in the room.

He's been watching me take everything in. Studying my reaction before he motions towards the other seat in the room.

I sit down apprehensively, dropping my bag down onto the floor next to me as I meet his gaze.

"You haven't asked me who I am yet, so I'm guessing you already know." He finally breaks the silence between us.

I nod, "You're Everly's father."

"Arthur Abbott. But these days I go by Connor Smith."

"What... Why am I here?"

"You're here because you were leaving New York."

"How do you know my Coach?"

"We met briefly. I asked him to give you the note with my address when you showed up and told him you were leaving."

"When I showed up? You knew this would happen?"

"I know my daughter." He smiles softly.

"You're supposed to be dead."

"I am dead, at least to anyone that matters."

"Why am I here?" I repeat my earlier question.

"Because I need your help." Arthur pauses, "And whether she admits it or not, Everly can't do this without you."

"She doesn't want me here."

"Of course she doesn't, she cares about you."

"She doesn't care about me." I shake my head.

"She's trying to protect you. And in doing so, she's risking her own life. I would say that means she cares for you very deeply."

I clench my jaw, taking a deep breath. "If that's actually true, then what's she trying to protect me from?"

"Fate." He responds simply. "Or as others refer to him, Aiden Carter."

I sigh, rubbing my hands over my face. "I need answers."

"All you have to do is ask."

"I..." I pause, trying to gather my thoughts. "I don't know where to start."

"How about from the beginning?"

"Why're you willing to tell me everything? Everly.."

"Everly wasn't willing to sacrifice you." Arthur cuts me off.

"But you are."

"I can't get her out of this alone. I love my daughter, and I'm selfish enough to ask you to risk your life to help me. I only hope that you're willing to after I tell you all that I know."