14

-Everly

The faint smell of ginger greets me as I step through the glass doors and into the quiet and tranquil dining room of Masa.

The hostess greets me with a smile, reminding me to silence my phone before leading me to Carter's usual table in the corner.

I'd been here at least twice a month with him since we started dating. It's one of his favorite restaurants in New York.

It has inarguably the best sushi you can find in the states, flown in everyday straight from Japan. But as most things Carter enjoys, it also comes with a large price tag.

One that was never less than five hundred a person for dinner. Usually significantly more after the saké Carter always insisted on pairing with our meals.

Jackson is already seated at the table, a smile gracing his face as I near it.

He stands, pulling out my chair for me. "You look lovely this evening Miss Abbott."

"Thank you." I force a smile on my face as I sit down, placing my small clutch on the table.

He takes in my features as he sits across from me, his eyes stilling when they reach the neckline of my red dress.

"Have you eaten here before?" I speak up, making his gaze meet my eyes.

"No." He grins. "This will be my first time. I'm positive I'm going to enjoy myself though."

"The food is delicious, you won't be disappointed."

"Right.." He chuckles. "The food. I'm sure it's wonderful as well."

I raise an eyebrow at him as a waitress appears, taking our drink order.

Carter does his research well, more thorough then necessary most of the time. And Jackson Decker is an obvious flirt.

I've seen more then one article splashed across the front page of the times about his most recent conquest.

Carter would of known this about him, yet he still wanted me to have dinner with him. A man who was more then likely to proposition me before the night was over.

Carter can barely stand when another man even looks at me... and now he willingly wants me to spend time alone with Jackson.

It doesn't make any sense.

I feel a small spark of fear run through my veins as Jackson smiles flirtatiously at the waitress as she fills our glasses with water.

Carter has a reason for everything, reasons he usually shares with me.

But tonight I'm in the dark. I have no clue what Carter's plan is.

And that scares the s.hit out of me.

"Would you like something a little stronger to drink?" Jackson asks, pulling me from my worried thoughts.

"I think I'll just stick with water, thank you." I smile at the waitress before she walks off.

"Water is awfully boring isn't it? I was hoping we could have a bit of fun."

"I'm afraid tonight won't be as entertaining as you may have hoped." I take a sip from my glass.

"Well the night has only just begun." He grins confidently. "Tell me about yourself."