6

-Harry

It was hot.

To bloody hot to be outside, waiting for my name to be found on yet another entry list.

"Ah. Mr. Styles." The older man reads my name off the list. "You're at tent six. Would you like the valet to fetch your change of clothes?"

I glance down at my black skinny jeans and plaid shirt, then take a look past him at all the groups of people spread across the lawn. All in suits and dresses. Of course they are.

"I didn't bring anything else." I inform him, resigning myself to the fact I'll never fit in with this sort.

"Well I'm sorry sir, but we do have a strict dress code and..."

"It's alright Patrick." A slender hand is placed on his shoulder, "He's with me."

"Of course Miss Reilly." The older man smiles at the redhead before giving me a forced nod.

My arm is swiftly taken by Bridgette and I'm led through the gated entrance of the equestrian centre.

"Nice to see you again Harry." She speaks up as we pass several sets of judging eyes. "Just ignore them. Once they see you're here with Carter they'll suddenly be your best friend. I have a suit for you to change into anyway."

I raise an eyebrow at her as we walk side by side. "I'm not changing. Sorry you bothered, but I'm fine in this."

"Don't be silly. You're at a show jumping competition. Haven't you ever been to one before?"

"Can't say I have." I shake my head. "But like I said.. I'm good."

"Alright." She smiles at me, looking me up and down. "I prefer you like this anyway."

I chew on the inside of my mouth to keep myself from calling out her obvious lie. The way she surveyed my outfit proves her distaste.

"So how do you know Carter?" I question as she steers us toward what I assume is tent six.

"I'm... friends with Everly."

"She here?" I glance around us, hoping to spot the long legged blonde.

"Why?"

"She's the one who texted me to be here is all." I shrug.

Bridgette glances over at me, slapping a smile across her face. "I'm sure she's around somewhere."

I nod, remembering the few texts Everly and I shared back and forth the past few days. Hers were very to the point, almost rudely so. While mine were on the verge of blatantly flirting.

I wanted to get to know her, did since the second I laid eyes on her, but she wasn't having it.

She was going to be a challenge. Something I'd never encountered before. And I f.ucking loved it.

"So I thought maybe after this we could grab a bite to eat. Get to know each other a little." Bridgette winks at me. "Or maybe more."

I hesitate to respond as we step into the large white tent, fighting a bit of inner turmoil.

Bridgette is just the sort of girl I would normally go for. She's right fit and not very bright. She'd make for a good bonk and an easy exit strategy.

Textbook Harry Styles as Nate would say.

But for some reason, I find myself not wanting the norm. For the first time since I can remember, I want something different.

What the f.uck has gotten into me?

Bridgette catches me off guard by pressing a kiss to my cheek and whispering in my ear. "Just think about it Harry."