20

-Everly

"And now for the red..."

I bring the long stemmed glass to my lips, taking a small drink of the dark liquid. I let it roll around on my tongue a few moments before swallowing.

"The 2011 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon. You'll notice the pronounced nose of espresso bean, caramel, smoke, chocolate and black plums. It maintains the perfect balance of soft, silky, and elegance that you're looking for."

"What do you think?" Carter looks at me questioningly.

"It's good." I nod, giving him and Monsieur Renald a smile.

"How much?" Carter asks, taking another drink.

"Currently it runs 2,300 US dollars per bottle."

My eyes widen in shock at the ridiculous price, Carter as usual seemingly unfazed by it.

"This isn't good enough. We need something better." Carter narrows his eyes in thought. "The best."

"I think I have just the thing." Monsieur Renald grins, pulling another bottle out of the leather case. "Henri Jayer Vosne-Romanée Premiere Cru Cros Parantoux 2000."

He pours two small glasses, handing them to us eagerly. "My personal favorite. Beautifully rich, elegant and complex, with great depth of fruit, plum, cherry, spice and a hint of chocolate on the palate. Very long and intense, but smooth and elegant."

I take a drink, the liquid velvety smooth as it slides along my tongue.

"The verdict darling?" Carter eyes me as he takes another drink from his own glass.

"It's delicious. Probably the best I've tasted." I respond truthfully.

"Well I think that decides it for us." Carter smiles, "How much?"

"8,300 US dollars per bottle."

I almost choke on my drink, wiping my mouth with a linen napkin. "Carter, surely there's something else.."

"You said it was the best. The best is what I want." Carter places his hand on the small of my back. "We'll take three bottles. Make sure they are delivered by tomorrow at noon. Already properly chilled."

"Of course sir." Monsieur Renald nods his head as he gathers up his things and exits the room.

"To a fantastic dinner tomorrow evening followed by a fantastic fight." Carter raises his glass and I follow suite.

I take a small sip, pursing my lips as I swallow. "So.. Is there a reason we need the best wine for tomorrow evening?"

"We will be having a very important guest." Carter takes a seat behind his desk, focusing on his computer.

"Oh?"

"Mr. Kimura."

I suck in a breath as a chill washes over my body. "But... He... He's in the states?"

"He will be as of tomorrow."

"He's making a special trip? Just for dinner and a fight?"

"Yes." Carter glances up at me. "Mr. Kimura wants to see Styles for himself. He thinks of himself as a very good judge of character and insists on making sure we've selected the right boxer. That the plan is well on its way to being completed."

"And if he doesn't think Harry is the right boxer?"

"Does he have a reason not to?" Carter raises an eyebrow at me, frowning.