52

-Harry

"You.. You followed me?!"

"Everly, you ran off like you'd...."

"Like I'd what? Just seen a video of my father alive months after I'd brought his remains back here?!" Her eyes are wide as she pulls her arm out of my grip.

"After? What?"

She only shakes her head at me, glancing around us worriedly before taking off across the street.

"Everly..." I quickly catch up to her, weaving between a few random people milling about 2nd Avenue. "Stop for a second. Please."

"I can't. I need to get away from here."

"Let me hail a cab, I'll see you home."

"I can see myself home. You should go." She quickly glances over at me, her forehead crinkled in concern, before staring straight ahead again.

"Go? I'm not leaving you like this. You look like you've just seen a bloody ghost. What happened in there?"

"It's none of your concern."

"Like h.ell it isn't." I stop her, pulling her away from the crowd of people steaming down the busy avenue and toward the front of a shop. "I'm the reason you even saw that video remember?"

"I didn't ask you to do that." She snaps.

"What the f.uck Everly?" I flinch slightly from her harsh tone, "I was trying to help you..."

"I don't need anymore help." She avoids my gaze, hiding behind the SnapBack resting on her head. "I'm fine on my own."

"So this is you being fine? This is you not needing help?" I shake my head, knowing full well she's about to fall apart.

"Listen..." I soften my tone, lowering my voice as I take her hand. "I followed you because I was worried about you. I ask so many questions because I care about you. I hate seeing you upset, which you obviously are. Let me see you home. You can talk or not talk to me there. Just... let me be with you till I know you're alright yeah?"

She surprises me by nodding slowly, actually giving in to my request.

Still looking down at her feet as I entwine our fingers, she lets me tug her towards the curb.

We both remain silent, sat in the back of an older taxi as it carries us towards her flat. Her gaze stays fixed out the window as mine remains watching her, keeping hold of her hand the entire drive.

I've never in my life been so invested in another person before and frankly.. It scares the shite out of me.

When she smiles it makes my heart feel like it could nearly burst in my chest. And when she's upset, it tears me apart inside.

It's as if her emotions are in complete control of my own.

I feel at a loss of power over myself, but somehow I'm alright with it.

As we pull up to her building I fish a few bills out of my wallet, handing them to the driver before sliding out of the backseat. Everly follows me out, letting me once again take her hand to lead her inside.