30

-Everly

I huff quietly as I turn my wrist over, glancing at the watch strapped around it.

He's late.

He's always late.

But of course he expects everyone else to be whenever he wants them to be, exactly when he wants them to be. There's no excuse for tardiness, unless it's his own.

There'd only been one instance I'd kept him waiting for me. An accident on 5th Avenue, one I was witness to, made me late for dinner when I was asked to give a statement to the police.

I still remember his face when I'd finally made it to the restaurant. A tight lipped smile pulled at his cheeks as I sat down across from him, eyes cold as he stared at me.

He was polite to me while we ate, even as we rode to his town house. He was never one to make a scene in front of anyone. He always had to maintain his reputation.

He could never show a loss of control.

The second we stepped through his front door my elbow was clutched firmly in his hand as he steered me towards his bedroom. When I tried to shrug him off, he gripped so tightly I yelped in pain.

The bedroom door wasn't slammed behind us liked I expected it to be. He didn't yell, his eyes didn't darken in anger.

Instead he called out into the hallway for Viktor, the head of his personal security. It was then the door was shut, leaving me alone with Carter and the man whom I jokingly referred to simply as 'The Russian.'

He was tall, his shoulders broad and his skin pale. His presence always instilled a small sense of fear in me, though I had ever been witness to him doing anything other then just being Carter's shadow.

Always there, always watching. But never speaking a word.

My body was tense as he shut the bedroom door behind him, closing us off to the world. He looked to Carter, who just give him a shift nod before focusing on me.

Viktor was fast. So fast I felt the sting to my cheek before I'd even realized he'd slapped me across the face.

I gasped, my hand flying up to touch my burning skin, my mouth falling open in shock.

With one more satisfied nod from Carter, Viktor exited the room, closing the door behind him without so much as a whisper of sound.

"Never make me wait on you again."

My eyes tore away from the door, widening at how soft and calm Carter's voice was.

"You embarrassed me tonight." He went on. "I won't be made a fool of again. Do you understand me?"

"I..." I swallow, feeling the shock subside and anger take over. "He hit me. You had him hit me."

"I would never lay a hand on a woman, but discipline is sometimes needed."

"How dare you! Having someone else... You're a f.ucking coward!" I yelled across the room.

Carter shook his head at me. "One more word and I'll call him back. Is that what you want?"

"You can go to h.ell!" I screamed at him, making his jaw tense and hands ball into fists. "We're done!"

I stormed towards the door, almost reaching the handle when my arm was roughly grabbed and my body was yanked into Carter's chest.