71

-Everly

The weight of the Glock 19 in my hand feels familiar.

I was only nine when my father first took Reid and I to the shooting range. We thought it was just for fun when we started out, but quickly learned otherwise. It wasn't just fun and games, it was for a specific purpose.

We were even younger, just seven years old, when he took us to our first self defense class. Once we'd mastered those, we moved on to martial arts. All throughout childhood, our teenage years, and right up until we graduated high school we went. Taking class after class, visiting the shooting range over and over again.

"You need to be able to protect yourselves. Protect the ones you love." My father would always say if we complained.

So it became a part of us. Of who we were. Wether we wanted it to or not. But I never thought I would actually need to put any of those skills learned into actual practice. I'd never thought I'd hold a gun, expecting to aim it at another human being instead of  just another fake target.

"I think maybe you should hang back, let us take the lead." My father's voice comes out as a hushed whisper next to me.

Harry speaks up from the other side of me, "I agree."

"I meant you Harry."

"What?" Harry's voice comes out louder, both surprised and annoyed as we hush him to be quieter.

"You can't aim worth shit."

"Today was the first time I ever shot a fucking gun, I'm better with my hands. Boxer remember?"

"Doesn't matter. YOU hang back." My father repeats, "Let Everly and I handle this. You follow behind us."

"I'm not going to let her..."

"She can handle herself."

"And I can't?"

"Not like she can."

Harry huffs, shaking his head. "Not a chance."

"Harry.." I whisper to get his attention, "He's right. You cover us from behind."

"I'm not.."

My father cuts him off, "We all agreed. I give the orders, you two follow them. If you can't do that, then we all leave right now."

Harry's eyes focus on mine briefly before begrudgingly nodding at my father.

"Fine. Just for the record though, this is a fucking bad idea."

"She's trained for this her whole life. We both have. This will work, it has to."

My father looks back and forth at Harry and I, "Now we all know the plan right?"

We both nod our heads in agreement.

"Okay then." He pears around the corner of a shipping container, "Let's go."

I move to follow my father, but a firm grip on my arm stops me. I'm quickly turned around, a hasty kiss pressed to my lips.