28

-Everly

"Would you like more Miss Abbott?"

"No thank you Clara." I smile, running some warm water in the sink to clean my bowl.

"I can take care of that, it is what I'm paid for after all."

"I've already got it." I hold up the now clean dish, grabbing a towel to dry it. "You go on home."

"You're a sweet girl." Clara squeezes my arm lightly, giving me a warm smile before she exits the kitchen.

I put away the clean bowl and drop myself down onto a kitchen stool. Resting my elbows on the counter, I lean my forehead against the cold counter top and close my eyes.

Last night had completely worn me out. I feel entirely drained.

"Did it work?"

I raise my head up at the soft sound of Margo's voice.

"Yes." I sigh. "Margo, thank you so much.. Really."

"No need. I'm just glad they finally agreed to let us use them." She sits down next to me so we can keep our voices lowered.

"No need? If I hadn't of had that.."

"I know." She rests a hand on top of mine. "So it didn't leave a mark?"

"Not that I could see."

"And he was fine this morning?"

"Yes. Expect for a slight headache and having no recollection of last night of course." We share a grin at Margo's plan having been a success.

"So what did he say? Anything?"

"Just that his head hurt and he must of drank to much champagne before bed. He didn't admit to not remembering last night, but when I mentioned how much I enjoyed it, he acted as if he had too."

"Thank god the prick's so proud." Margo snorts. "I'm so relieved it worked."

"Me too. I couldn't of done it." I shake my head. "There's no way I could of slept with him after what he did."

"Of course not. But we can't do this every time he wants to have s.ex with you, we need another plan."

"I know... But what?"

"We'll think of something." Margo purses her lips in thought.

Sounds coming from down the hallway cause us to sit up straight, our bodies going tense. We each grab a magazine off the counter to appear occupied as Carter steps into the room, Chloe following close behind.

"I'll switch that meeting to next Friday." She nods, writing away in her planner.

"Very good." A smile spreads across Carter's face when his eyes meet mine.

"You ladies having a good time?" He steps up behind me, kissing the back of my head.

"Looking for gowns for the MET ball." Margo speaks up, turning pages in her magazine.

"Ah." He glances over my shoulder, his hands resting on my hips. "Shall I have Chloe make you all an appointment with René?"

"That would be lovely." I force a smile on my face as he pecks my cheek. "Maybe sometime next week?"

"Chloe?" He steps away from me.

"Sure." She answers, her tone clipped.

"Attitude Grayson." Carter snaps, causing me to jump slightly in my seat.

"I'm sorry. I'll make the appointment right away sir."

"Very good." He dismisses her as he places a hand on my shoulder, my skin going cold from his touch. "I've a meeting to get to. Walk me out?"