5

-Everly

I lead the way down the narrow hallway towards the private rooms at the back of the club, hearing Harry's footsteps behind me.

I almost stop, telling him to go. To get far away while he still can.

But I don't.

I can't.

I give Steven, one of Carter's security, a nod as we step in front of a large wooden door. He looks past me, his eyes glancing over Harry suspiciously before he opens the door and lets us through.

I find exactly what I expect to, Carter sitting at a table with a few businessman, cards in their hands and money spread out between them.

Five card draw.

A game appearing simple enough that everyone thinks they can play. Never realizing that the five cards they hold in their hand don't even matter. It isn't a game of chance where everyone has the same probability of winning.

It's a game of skill.

It's the perfect combination of math, phycology, competition, and money.

Which is exactly why it's Carter's favorite game to play.

He glances up as we move towards him, his eyes narrowing a bit when he sees Harry standing directly behind me.

His hard gaze vanishes as swiftly as it appeared, a confident smile taking over his features.

"Gentlemen." He looks at the two men across from him. "Afraid we'll have to call it a night."

He shakes hands with both of them before they each pick up several bills from the table. The tight line their lips form prove they're leaving with a bit less then they came with.

They should expect no different playing with Carter. He always wins, even when he loses.

I pick a glass of champagne up off a tray, taking a small sip as I sit down next to Carter.

I can't help but feel nervous for Harry as Carter sizes him up. I've been under that harsh gaze myself, and always felt less then adequate after.

"Harry Styles..." Carter finally speaks, causing Harry to stand up just a bit straighter. "Twenty one years old, started boxing professionally at the age of eighteen in London. Moved to New York fourteen months ago to train with the great Lou Gallo. Thirty four career wins, zero losses."

"You've done your homework." Harry states as Carter holds out his hand to him.

"I like to know who I'll be doing business with." Carter shakes his hand, motioning for Harry to sit down. "Aiden Carter."

"I know who you are." Harry sits down, glancing at me before looking back towards Carter. "Though I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want to do business with me."

"Are you a gambling man Styles?"

Harry frowns, shaking his head. "No."

"And why is that?"

"I don't like uncertainty."

"Yet you box for a living." Carter smirks at him, causing Harry's jaw to tense.

"There's no uncertainty in a proper fight."

"No?"

"No." Harry pauses, "If I box liked I'm trained to, I'll win. If I don't, I'll lose."

"Fifty/fifty chance." Carter nods. "Not very a very safe bet."

"Fighting usually isn't described as safe."