9

-Everly

I could hear the sound of bone cracking against bone from where I sat.

It was as if the whole room was frozen, waiting for the blow they knew would come. There wasn't any cheering or vulgar comments or yelling like had went on throughout the first few rounds. It was silent.

Silent except for the sound of Harry's fist impacting his opponents face.

It was obvious the fight was already over. Harry was to fast, easily dodging every punch thrown his way. And his technique to good for his less skilled opposition.

He took his time in the first round, learning the other fighters tells. Letting him throw punch after punch, wearing himself out without his gloves ever even touching Harry's skin.

I could tell Harry was holding himself back. He was only supposed to win by three points.

Three.

The number that would get him his seventy-five thousand for the night. The number that would move us closer to setting the actual plan into motion.

My attention is pulled away from the ring as Carter's hand grips my thigh, squeezing it firmly.

The next hit would be the final assurance Harry was following through on their agreement. It would be point number three.

And Carter's excitement over the prospect was almost sickening.

He was going to win his bet for the night. Two hundred and fifty thousand that Harry would only win by those three points.

But in reality he didn't care about the hundred and seventy five thousand he would be taking home after giving Harry his cut.

That amount of money meant very little, if nothing at all. At least compared to what was really on the line.

Billions.

More money then I could even imagine.

It would be the high point of Carter's career, making him not just the richest man in New York, but in the entire country.

But only if the Kimura merger went through.

Which would only happen if Kimura's demands were met. And Carter was intent on making sure they were. Everything depended on it.

His entire empire. His reputation.

And he would do anything to keep those two things intact.

I focus back on the ring just as Harry's right fist hits his opponents jaw, sending the man falling back onto the floor and the crowd up on their feet.

Harry's hand is held in the air, named the victor of the fight by just three points.

I remain seated as Carter stands, clapping his hands with a grin on his face. He's one step closer to getting everything he wants.

He's one step closer to ruining everything Harry is.

Harry sits down on a stool sat in a corner of the ring, his coach throwing a towel over his shoulders and pulling the mouth guard out from between his lips.