31

-Everly

I blink a few times, my vision a bit blurred before things start to come into focus.

"Are you alright Miss?"

A man's face I don't recognize comes into my line of sight, holding up two fingers.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" He questions.

"Two." I answer as I slowly sit up.

He takes my pulse, shining a light into my eyes before he helps me stand.

"How is she?" Carter's voice speaks up behind us.

"Seems to be fine. She should get some rest. I suggest you see her home." The older man shakes Carter's hand before walking away from us.

"My personal doctor." Carter nods after him before setting his gaze on me. "Thankfully he was just down the street. Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine." I assure him. "How long was I out?"

"A good twenty minutes."

"I'm sorry I..."

"Get your things, I'm taking you home."

I nod, grabbing my clutch and small wrap off the back of my chair. He takes my hand, leading me outside where his car is waiting for us.

We slide into the back seat, the ride to my apartment building spent with Carter on the phone talking about the purchase of some small technology company.

When we pull up to the curb he abruptly ends his call, pressing the button to raise the partition between us and the driver.

"You scared me tonight." He takes my hand, running his thumb across the engagement ring now on my finger.

"I'm sorry. I'm fine though, really."

"Glad to hear it." His eyes lock with mine. "I don't want things to be like this. I need to see you happy with our life going forward. I need for others to see you happy with me. Your reaction tonight.. It was embarrassing for me. Do you understand that?"

"Yes." I nod.

"This won't happen again, there's no reason for it to. You'll have whatever you wish for when you're my wife. You'll want for nothing."

Except love, I think to myself.

"You'll be happy." He goes on. "And your first priority will making sure I am as well."

"Of course." I nod again.

He leans over, pressing his lips against mine forcefully. I flinch, it taking everything in me not to shove him away.

It feels like forever before he finally releases his grip on me, pecking my lips one last time before sitting back in his seat.

"I have meetings all day tomorrow, but I'll expect you at my townhouse the day after. Come at noon, we'll be having a few guests."

"Alright." I grip the door handle, pushing the door open as Carter grabs my wrist.

"If I ever see this ring not on your finger I'll be thoroughly disappointed."

"You won't."

He smiles, satisfied with my response. "Get some rest. I'll be sending Grayson over tomorrow to start going over some wedding details with you. No go."

I don't waste a second in getting out, closing the door behind me and jogging up the eight steps leading to my building.

As soon as I'm inside the main door, I lean against it and take a deep breath.