60

-Everly

I'm not sure how long I sat on the floor of my living room, contemplating the decision I'd made.

Was I wrong?

Was I right?

Could the choice even be as uncomplicated as that? It being as simple as right or wrong didn't seem possible. Nothing was simple anymore and the difference between the two wasn't a solid line. It was hazy, almost indistinguishable after all this time.

When I finally managed to pull myself up off the floor, my knees were numb. My whole body felt lethargic, sluggish.

I knew there wasn't any putting it off, I had to go tell Carter. He needed to hear it from me and in doing so I hoped to maintain some level of trust between us.

I almost laughed to myself at the thought as I walked toward my bathroom.

Trust.. between Carter and I.

I really must be losing my mind.

Splashing some water on my face, I look over my red and puffy eyes. I can't go to Carter's looking like this, like I'm upset over Harry leaving. Like I'm heartbroken I just told the man I've very much in love with that I'm most definately not.

I need to play my part.

After combing out my hair, I put some color on my face. Focusing on my eyes, I do what I can to hide what I'm really feeling.

I smile at myself in the mirror, putting the finishing touch on the mask I've created.

The same one I've perfected since I started dating Carter.

No matter what emotion I'm actually experiencing.. alone, angry, terrified, heartbroken.. I still look happy.

At least to Carter I do.

He never looks closely, he's never really cared to. As long as I'm smiling, seemingly content being by his side, behaving properly, and wearing what he's chosen for me, none of the rest matters.

I stare at myself in the mirror, surveying my work. My smile is bright, my cheeks lightly flushed, my skin clear and glowing. It's only my eyes that give alway the slightest clue of how I'm really feeling.

It's just a flicker, so I know no one would notice.

No one but the one person I've sent away.

Stop thinking about him Everly.

He's gone.

Trying to brush the thought from my mind, I take a deep breath.

I can do this.

I pick out a short white cotton dress from my closet, one I remember Carter complimenting me on before. He bought it for me not long after we started dating, along with a matching pair of heels.

I'd just gotten home from a normal day of classes when they arrived. Two young women carrying in arm loads of bags before going downstairs to bring up the rest.

They were Carter's personal shoppers, snobbishly amused as my eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets as they unpacked all the items.

I wasn't from a wealthy family. And I was never one to save up and drop a lot of money on a pair of shoes or a trendy bag. Yes, I drooled over them in magazines, but that was as close as I'd ever gotten.

So when my living room was covered in packages from Prada, Gucci, Chanel, and Manolo Blahnik, I was understandably close to passing out.

Things were so good between us then. Light and easy. Carter was beyond charming, sweeping me off my feet constantly. Making me actually feel loved.

The Most Dangerous Game (Harry Styles AU)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara