36

-Everly

I pop my gum loudly, closing my eyes a few times as I sigh.

I'm bored. Horribly bored.

"Carter's narrowed it down to just three, so here's the venues you have to choose from."

Chloe hands me a few pieces of paper, each with pictures and descriptions on them.

"There's the New York Public Library, the Loeb Central Boathouse, and if you'd prefer to go out of town, there's the Biltmore Estate."

"Any of them is fine." I force a smile, handing the papers back to her.

"Fine..." She repeats, looking at me with disgust. "These all start at fifty thousand to rent and you call them 'fine'?"

"$50,000?!" I snatch the papers back out of her hands, gaping at the exorbitant prices. "That's ridiculous!"

"He wants it to be perfect for you, the least you could do is be thankful." Chloe sneers.

"I am." I lie.

She rolls her eyes as she shoves the papers back into her portfolio.

I take the opportunity to flip her off as she riffles through her planner. I've already been forced to spend half the day with her going over wedding arrangements.

Wedding arrangements I don't give a s.hit about. I don't care what color the flowers are or where it's held. All I care about is making sure Reid is safe before I have to actually go through with it.

It would be easier if Carter just decided everything on his own. He's the one so concerned about what others think, needing everything to be just so. The best money can buy.

He isn't trying to make it perfect for me, he's only interested in keeping his reputation. And making sure everyone, those attending or not, know that they could never have the type of wedding Aiden Carter could afford.

"Have you gotten a chance to look at any of the dress designs I sent you?"

"The what?" I look up.

"The wedding dress designs."

"Oh... No."

"How about the cakes?"

"No. I've been cramming for a final, I hadn't gotten around to it yet."

"You're unbelievable!" She throws her hands up in frustration. "Do you have any idea how many women would die to be in your shoes?"

I almost laugh at the irony. The thought of having to marry Carter makes me want to kîll myself. I couldn't imagine any woman that truly knows him to feeling any different.

"How's everything going?" Maya pops her head in the doorway, glancing back and forth between us.

"Just splendidly!" Chloe smiles sarcastically, standing up. "I need a drink."

Maya steps out of the way as Chloe stomps out of the room, chuckling at her before sitting down next to me on the linen sofa.

"Having fun?" She laughs when she sees the look on my face.

"So much." I groan, leaning back and rubbing the bridge of my nose to try and diffuse some tension.

"I know this isn't the best time, but I was wondering if I could ask you something." She sucks her lips into her mouth nervously.

"Sure."

"Well... I... You see it's just..."

"Just what?" I raise my eyebrows, urging her to go on.