Black Balloon

After three years of dating Kim decided something for herself. She wasn't sure how Ron would react, but she needed to tell him. She had cooked dinner and poured some red wine for them. 

Ron felt like something was going on. His girlfriend never got fancy unless something was up. He watched her figet with utensils. "Whatever it is just tell me." His thoughts then ran wild. Was Kim about to tell him some big news? He wanted to feel her belly, but held back. 

"You're not gonna be happy. If you break up with me because of my decision, so be it." 

Waiting felt like torture for Ron. 

Kim stood and faced him. "I don't want kids." 

Ron felt a part of his soul leave his body. WHY?! He internally shouted loudly. Tears spilled from his dark eyes, to his red cheeks and dripped off his trembling chin. He loved kids. They were a part of his daily life. He was a paraprofessional at the East Uppteron Elementary School. It was only a thirty minute drive from there to Middleton where they had attended school together. 

Ron grew angry and shouted, "You just popped a damn black balloon over my head, Kim. I wanted a blue or pink one!" 

Yep, she expected his anger. She'd been asking herself the question for the last six months and made her choice only a week ago. Then she asked herself again, Do I want kids? 

It was a personal choice, but she knew this affected him deeply. 

"I love you, Ron, it's just something I do not want. Sure I like them as long as they belong to someone else. I don't mind babysitting them. I just choose not to birth one." 

OH boy and there it is, the hopeful small smile on his face. 

"Or have any in my personal life either. I'm sorry." And snatching that small hope from him made her feel sick. She saw the change in him. It happened in front of her eyes. 

"Is it me?" His voice whispered. 

Kim shook her head. "Not at all. This is a personal choice and I know it hurts you. That's why I'm gonna leave a door open for you to stay or leave. I don't want you to be unhappy. I want you to find love and have the family you dream of, Ron." 

"I love you, Kim." He said and went to sit down. "Since senior year when we got serious I've pictured the future. And you just stomped it out of existance." 

"I love you too. I always will. You'll always be my best friend. I even pictured that a few times. Kids, marriage, the whole thing." 

Ron got up and walked to the kitchen. He came back with a cereal box. "I've had this for months. I've been scared to ask, which is stupid. Now, well, just dig inside of it." 

Kim felt so horrible because she knew there was a prize inside of it that was in a small black box. She dug into the Frosted Flakes and pulled it out. She looked at him and he nodded. She flipped it open to reveal a gold banded diamond ring. 

"I'm not sure what to say or do." Kim honestly said to him. 

"Keep it or pawn it. It's your choice. I'm going to start packing my stuff." 

And just like that, it was over. 

She sat there and cried for a solid ten minutes. She finally got up and saw him with a bag in the hallway. "I'm gonna go stay with Wade. He said it was cool for a week or two." 

His parents and little sister Hana were now living in Richmond, VA. 

He came close to her and bitterly asked, "Did you even want me to ask you to marry me?"