2.4| ron gets a howler

Innumerable candles were hovering in midair over four long, crowded tables, making the golden plates and goblets sparkle. Overhead, the bewitched ceiling, which always mirrored the sky outside, sparkled with stars. Alex found Ginny in the crowds of first years.

“Hang on" Harry muttered. “There’s an empty chair at the staff table… Where’s Snape?”

“Maybe he’s ill?” Alex suggested.

"Maybe he’s left” said Harry, “because he missed out on the Defense Against Dark Arts job again!”

"Or he might have been sacked!” said Ron enthusiastically. “I mean, everyone hates him"

“Or maybe” said a very cold voice right behind them, making them jump. “he’s waiting to hear why the three of you didn’t arrive on the school train" They spun around. There, his black robes rippling in a cold breeze, stood Severus Snape, the smile on his face said they were in huge trouble.

"Follow me" Snape ordered. Not daring even to look at each other, they followed Snape up the steps into the vast, echoing entrance hall, which was lit with flaming torches. A delicious smell of food was wafting from the Great Hall, but Snape led them away from the warmth and light, down a narrow stone staircase that led into the dungeons. “In!” he said, opening a door halfway down the cold passageway and pointing. They entered Snape’s office, shivering. The shadowy walls were lined with shelves of large glass jars, in which floated all manner of revolting things Harry didn’t really want to know the name of at the moment. The fireplace was dark and empty. Snape closed the door and turned to look at them. “So” he said softly, “the train isn’t good enough for the famous celebrities; Alexandria Black and Harry Potter and their faithful sidekick Weasley"

"Sir—the kings cross barrier—"

"Silence!" He said. “You were seen” he hissed, showing them the headline: FLYING FORD ANGLIA MYSTIFIES MUGGLES. He began to read aloud: “Two Muggles in London, convinced they saw an old car flying over the Post Office tower… at noon in Norfolk, Mrs. Hetty Bayliss, while hanging out her washing… Mr. Angus Fleet, of Peebles, reported to police… Six or seven Muggles in all. I believe your father works in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office?” he said, looking up at Ron and smiling still more nastily. “Dear, dear… his own son…” He said. “I noticed, in my search of the park, that considerable damage seems to have been done to a very valuable Whomping Willow” Snape went on.

“That tree did more damage to us than we did to it" Alex blurted out.

“Silence!” snapped Snape again. “Most unfortunately, you are not in my House and the decision to expel you does not rest with me. I shall go and fetch the people who do have that happy power. You will wait here." The three of them stared at each other.

"Professor McGonagall won't do something bad right? Would she?" Alex asked. "I mean we're in her house"

"Hopefully" Harry said. Ten minutes later, Snape returned, McGonagall with him. Her mouth in a thin line. She pointed her wand at the fire place, a fire erupted inside.

“Sit" she said, they all obeyed. “Explain” she said, her glasses glinting ominously. Ron launched into the story, starting with the barrier at the station refusing to let them through.

“Why didn’t you send us a letter by owl? I believe you have an owl?” Professor
McGonagall said coldly to Harry. Harry gaped at her. Now she said it, that seemed the obvious thing to have done.

"We didn't think of it—"

"That" Professor McGonagall said. "Is obvious" There was a knock on the office door and Snape, now looking happier than ever, opened it. There stood the headmaster, Professor Dumbledore. He stared down his very crooked nose at them.