4.18| confessions & concussions

4.18|confessions & concussions

          At the end of May, Professor McGonagall held Harry and Alex back in transfiguration. “You are to go down to the Quidditch field tonight at nine o'clock" she instructed. “Mr Bagman will be there to tell the champions about the third task" So at half past eight that night, Alex and Harry left Ron and Hermione in Gryffindor Tower and went downstairs. As they crossed the entrance hall, Cedric came up from the Hufflepuff common room. Alex immediately took his hand, intertwining their fingers.

“What d’you reckon it’s going to be?” he asked Alex and Harry as they went together down the stone steps, out into the cloudy night. Both Harry and Alex shrugged.

"No idea" Harry said. They walked down the dark lawn to the Quidditch stadium, turned through a gap in the stands, and walked out onto the field.

“What’ve they done to it?” Cedric said indignantly, stopping dead. The Quidditch field was no longer smooth and flat. It looked as though somebody had been building long, low walls all over it that twisted and crisscrossed in every direction.

“They’re hedges!” said Harry, bending to examine the nearest one.

“How will we play Quidditch here?” Alex asked, already worried for next year. “The poor Quidditch field”

“Hello there!” called a cheery voice. Ludo Bagman was standing in the middle of the field with Krum and Alex, Harry and Cedric made their way toward them, climbing over the hedges. Fleur beamed at Alex and Harry as they came nearer. “Well, what d’you think?” said Bagman happily as Alex, Harry and Cedric climbed over the last hedge. “Growing nicely, aren’t they? Give them a month and Hagrid’ll have them twenty feet high. Don’t worry" he said looking at the expression on their faces, "you'll have your Quidditch field back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we’re making here?” No one spoke for a moment. Then —

“Maze" grunted Krum.

“That’s right!” said Bagman. “A maze. The third task’s really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the center of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks"

“We seemply ’ave to get through the maze?” said Fleur.

“There will be obstacles" said Bagman happily, bouncing on the balls of his feet. “Hagrid is providing a number of creatures, then there will be spells that must be broken… all that sort of thing, you know. Now, the champions who are leading on points will get a head start into the maze” Bagman grinned, "Miss Black, then Mr Potter and Mr Diggory, then Mr Krum and Then Miss Delacour will enter. But you’ll all be in with a fighting chance, depending how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?” Alex and Harry shared a look, but nodded nonetheless. “Very well, if you haven’t got any questions, we’ll go back up to the castle, shall we, it’s a bit chilly"

As they began walking back to the castle— Alex could see Krum and Harry walk the other way. Catching Harry's eyes she raised her eyebrows questioningly but he just shrugged in response, shaking his head. Cedric was talking about something but Alex couldn't quite focus— her mind was still on Harry. Where was Krum leading him and why? She wished she would have followed along with him but he had just shrugged and shook his head, as if saying that he'll be fine, no need to worry.

"Alex?" Cedric said, a little loudly snapping Alex out and she looked at him questioningly. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah" she breathed out, giving a small smile. "I'm alright"

"I forgot to give you something—" he said, stopping, Alex looked up at him a little confused. He waved his wand, muttering a small 'Accio' and for a second nothing happened then from the distance Alex could see something flying towards them—she caught it swiftly at once.