4.8| the goblet of fire

"There's no way it would work" Alex scoffed. The twins and Lee Jordan had decided to take the aging potion, to put their name in the goblet of fire.

"Then watch us put our name yourself, dear Ria" Fred grinned and Fred pulled a slip of parchment out of his pocket bearing the words Fred Weasley — Hogwarts. Fred Walked right up to the edge of the line and stood there, rocking on his toes like a diver preparing for a fifty-foot drop. Then, with the eyes of every person in the entrance hall upon him, he took a great breath and stepped over the line. For a split second Alex thought it had worked —George certainly thought so, for he let out a yell of triumph and leapt after Fred— but next moment, there was a loud sizzling sound, and both twins were hurled out of the golden circle as though they had been thrown by an invisible shot-putter. They landed painfully, ten feet away on the cold stone floor, and to add insult to injury, there was a loud popping noise, and both of them sprouted identical long white beards.

"Ha!" Alex grinned. "Told ya!"

The entrance hall rang with laughter. Even Fred and George joined in, once they had gotten to their feet and taken a good look at each other’s beards.

“I did warn you" said a deep, amused voice, and everyone turned to see Professor Dumbledore coming out of the Great Hall. He surveyed Fred and George, his eyes twinkling. “I suggest you both go up to Madam Pomfrey. She is already tending to Miss Fawcett, of Ravenclaw, and Mr Summers, of Hufflepuff, both of whom decided to age themselves up a little too. Though I must say, neither of their beards is anything like as fine as yours” Fred and George set off for the hospital wing, accompanied by Lee, who was howling with laughter.

The decorations in the Great Hall had changed this morning. As it was Halloween, a cloud of live bats was fluttering around the enchanted ceiling, while hundreds of carved pumpkins leered from every corner

People were cheering out in the entrance hall. They all swiveled around in their seats and saw Angelina Johnson coming into the Hall, grinning in an embarrassed sort of way. Angelina came over to them, sat down, and said, “Well, I’ve done it! Just put my name in!”

“You’re kidding!” said Ron, looking impressed.

“Are you seventeen, then?” asked Harry.

“ ’Course she is, can’t see a beard, can you?” Ron said.

“I had my birthday last week” said Angelina.

"If anyone's going to be the Hogwarts champion, I think it's you Angelina" Alex smiled.

"Yeah I really hope you get it, Angelina!" Hermione said. Angelina smiled at the two girls.

"Thanks" she smiled.

“Yeah, better you than Pretty-Boy Diggory” said Seamus, causing several Hufflepuffs passing their table to scowl heavily at him. Ron very mockingly shushed him down.

"Shh" Ron said, his thumb pointing to Alex who was sitting beside him. "Don't insult him in front of her"

"Oh, shut up" she said, rolling her eyes.

_

“Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision" said Dumbledore. The golden plates has vanished and everyone was on the edge of their seats. Alex tried searching for a certain Hufflepuff boy in the crowd and when she did she gave him the biggest grin that she could and mouthed 'best of luck'. And he smiled back at her reassuringly.

“I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions’ names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber” — he indicated the door behind the staff table, “where they will be receiving their first instructions” He took out his wand and gave a great sweeping wave with it; at once, all the candles except those inside the carved pumpkins were extinguished, plunging them into a state of semidarkness. The Goblet of Fire now shone more brightly than anything in the whole Hall, the sparkling bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames almost painful on the eyes. Everyone watched, waiting, A few people kept checking their watches.