4.14| please don't have somebody waiting on you

Harry hated everything.

He hated the ball, he hated his shitty luck, he hated how her eyes look like the moon, he hated how he was constantly stuck between Ron and Hermione's arguments, he hated how Cedric's hands were on her waist and how his lips were on her soft pink one's and how she must've loved every moment of it and how it wasn't him instead of Cedric. He hated that he felt jealous and most of all he hated how his feelings for his bestfriend were growing and he hated how she only liked Cedric and would never choose him. And he hated that out of all the people it was her, the girl who will only saw him as a friend and just when he was starting to like Cedric—prepared to overlook the fact that he had once beaten him at Quidditch, and was handsome, and popular, and nearly everyone’s favorite champion. Now he suddenly realized that Cedric was in fact Just a useless pretty boy who didn’t have enough brains to fill an eggcup. And at the moment he hated Ron because he kept on talking about Alex and Cedric.

"She can do better than him, way better" Ron said, shrugging. Harry nodded mindlessly. A million thoughts were running through his mind and he didn't even notice when he ran into a carved bench, when he finally heard a familiar voice.

"don’t see what there is to fuss about, Igor"

“Severus, you cannot pretend this isn’t happening!” Karkaroff’s voice sounded anxious and hushed, as though keen not to be overheard. “It’s been getting clearer and clearer for months. I am becoming seriously concerned, I can’t deny it —”

“Then flee” said Snape’s voice curtly. “Flee— I will make your excuses. I, however, am remaining at Hogwarts" Snape and Karkaroff came around the corner. Snape had his wand out and was blasting rose bushes apart, his expression most ill-natured. Squeals issued from many of the bushes, and dark shapes emerged from them.

“Ten points from Ravenclaw, Fawcett!” Snape snarled as a girl ran past him. “And ten points from Hufflepuff too, Stebbins!” as a boy went rushing after her. “And what are you two doing?” he added, catching sight of Harry and Ron on the path ahead. Karkaroff, Harry saw, looked slightly discomposed to see them standing there. His hand went nervously to his goatee, and he began winding it around his finger.

“We’re walking" Ron told Snape shortly. “Not against the law, is it?”

“Keep walking, then!” Snape snarled, and he brushed past them, his long black cloak billowing out behind him. Karkaroff hurried away after Snape. Harry and Ron continued down the path.

“What’s got Karkaroff all worried?” Ron muttered.

“And since when have he and Snape been on first-name terms?” said Harry slowly. They had reached a large stone reindeer now, over which they could see the sparkling jets of a tall fountain. The shadowy outlines of two enormous people were visible on a stone bench, watching the water in the moonlight. And then Harry heard Hagrid speak.

“Momen’ I saw yeh, I knew" he was saying, in an oddly husky voice. Harry and Ron froze. This didn’t sound like the sort of scene they ought to walk in on, somehow. Harry looked around, back up the path, and saw Fleur Delacour and Roger Davies standing half-concealed in a rosebush nearby. He tapped Ron on the shoulder and jerked his head toward them, meaning that they could easily sneak off that way without being noticed but Ron, eyes widening in horror at the sight of Fleur, shook his head vigorously, and pulled Harry deeper into the shadows behind the reindeer.

“What did you know, ’Agrid?” said Madame Maxime, a purr in her low voice. Harry definitely didn’t want to listen to this; he knew Hagrid would hate to be overheard in a situation like this (he certainly would have) — if it had been possible he would have put his fingers in his ears and hummed loudly, but that wasn’t really an option. Instead he tried to interest himself in a beetle crawling along the stone reindeer’s back, but the beetle just wasn’t interesting enough to block out Hagrid’s next words.