2.10| end of second year

Alex was told to go to Dumbledore's office alone, immediately after returning from the Chamber of Secrets. Harry and Ron waited outside.

"Oh god, do you think he'll expel me?" She asked, worried sick. Harry squeezed her hand tightly in hopes of assuring her.

"It'll be fine" Ron said giving her a small smile.

"Yeah, he'll understand" Harry added. The two of them gave her a smile and she went ahead, returning their smile. When she entered she saw a person with familiar old, dusty, patched robes with his back to her. Dumbledore met her eyes and behind his half moon spectacles, his bright eyes sparkled.

"Remus!"

"Alex!" Remus exclaimed. Alex couldn't believe her eyes she ran up to him and he engulfed her in a hug so tight that it squeezed all her sadness out of her. He practically picked her up and held her close.

"Moony" she said softly. "I'm so sorry" she said and started sobbing again. He shushed her down, rubbing her back softly.

"It's fine" he assured her, setting her down. He wiped her tears from her cheeks. "It's fine, it wasn't your mistake" he said and kissed the top of her forehead.

"It was!" She exclaimed. "It wa-as so stu-pid of me!" She hiccuped.

"It doesn't matter now" Remus said, holding her hands. "All that matters is that you and Harry are safe" he said and she hugged him again. Dumbledore smiled at pair.

Remus always knew Alex would have trouble following around her, just like her dad. But this was certainly not the kind of trouble he was expecting.

_

"Where did you find the diary, Miss Black?" McGonagall asked her. They were still in Dumbledore's office but Remus had left. They asked Harry and Ron about the chamber before her. They told them everything.

"I found it inside my bag. I don't know how it got there. But I found it peculiar, so I kept it" Alex said, her head hanging low because of guilt.

"This has been a terrible ordeal for her. There will be no punishment. Older and wiser wizards than she have been hoodwinked by Lord Voldemort" Dumbledore said. Alex looked up at him in surprise. "You know, Minerva" Professor Dumbledore said thoughtfully to Professor McGonagall "I think all this merits a good feast. Might I ask you to go and alert the kitchens?"

"Right" said Professor McGonagall crisply, also moving to the door. "I'll leave you to eal with them, shall I?"

"Certainly" said Dumbledore.

"Where is Professor Lockhart?" Dumbledore asked them.

"He's outside" Ron answered. "Professor when we were in the chamber of secrets, he tried to do a memory charm at me, but it backfired instead"

"Oh dear" Dumbledore said. "Would you mind taking him to the infarmary, Mr Weasley" he said.

"Not at all Professor" he said and casted Alex and Harry a glance before leaving the office.

"Professor, I should be in Slytherin" Harry said, looking desperately into Dumbledore's face. "The Sorting Hat could see Slytherin's power in me, and it-"

"Put you in Gryffindor" said Dumbledore calmly. "Listen to me, Harry. You happen to have many qualities Salazar Slytherin prized in his hand-picked students. His own very rare gift, Parseltongue, resourcefulness, determination, a certain disregard for rules" he added, his mustache quivering again. "Yet the Sorting Hat placed you in Gryffindor. You know why that was. Think"