4.6| society for the promotion of elfish welfare

4.6| Society For The Promotion Of Elfish Welfare

"Come on, Al!" Harry said, nudging the grey eyed girl who was successfully doing her divination homework unlike the two boys who were suffering for the last half an hour. "Why are you punishing me like this, punish him!" He said pointing towards Ron who gasped in mock disappointment.

"You betrayed our friendship" Ron said, shaking his head. "You betrayed me, Harry. After everything I'd done for you"

"If I have to sacrifice our friendship for divination homework, then so it be"

"No need for that" Alex said, giving them a smile. "I won't help you anyway!"

“You know” said Ron, whose hair was on end because of all the times he had run his fingers through it in frustration, “I think it’s back to the old Divination standby"

“What — make it up?”

“Yeah" said Ron, sweeping the jumble of scrawled notes off the table, dipping his pen into some ink, and starting to write. Alex raised her eyebrows at the two.

“Next Monday" he said as he scribbled, “I am likely to develop a cough, owing to the unlucky conjunction of Mars and Jupiter" He looked up at Harry. “You know her — just put in loads of misery, she’ll lap it up"

“Right" said Harry, crumpling up his first attempt and lobbing it over the heads of a group of chattering first years into the fire.

“Okay, on Monday, I will be in danger of — er — burns"

“Yeah, you will be” said Ron darkly, “we’re seeing the skrewts again on Monday. Okay, Tuesday, I’ll—erm—

“Lose a treasured possession" said Harry, who was flicking through Unfogging the Future for ideas. Alex snorted at them.

“Good one" said Ron, copying it down.

“Because of—erm— Mercury. Why don’t you get stabbed in the back by someone you thought was a friend?”

“Yeah, cool" said Harry, scribbling it down, “because, Mars is in the twelfth house”

"You can't be serious" Alex laughed. The two boys shrugged and continued.

“And on Wednesday, I think I’ll come off worst in a fight”

“Aaah, I was going to have a fight. Okay, I’ll lose a bet”

“Yeah, you’ll be betting I’ll win my fight”

They continued to make up predictions (which grew steadily more tragic) for another hour, while the common room around them slowly emptied as people went up to bed. Hermione climbed into the common room carrying a sheaf of parchment in one hand and a box whose contents rattled as she walked in the other. Crookshanks arched his back, purring.

“Hello” she said, “I’ve just finished!”

“So have I!” said Ron triumphantly, throwing down his quill. Hermione sat down, laid the things she was carrying in an empty armchair, and pulled Ron’s predictions toward her.

“Not going to have a very good month, are you?” she said sardonically as Crookshanks curled up in her lap.

“Ah well, at least I’m forewarned” Ron yawned.

“You seem to be drowning twice” said Hermione.

“Oh am I?” said Ron, peering down at his predictions. “I’d better change one of them to getting trampled by a rampaging hippogriff"