4.12| How to NOT get girls 101

Alex, Harry, Ron and Hermione went up to the Owlery that evening to find Pigwidgeon, so that Harry and Alex could send Sirius a letter telling him that they had managed to get past the dragons unscathed. Harry and Alex filled Ron in on everything Sirius had told him about Karkaroff. Though shocked at first to hear that Karkaroff had been a Death Eater, by the time they entered the Owlery Ron was saying that they ought to have suspected it all along.

“Fits, doesn’t it?” he said. “Remember what Malfoy said on the train, about his dad being friends with Karkaroff? Now we know where they knew each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the World Cup. I’ll tell you one thing, though he must be feeling really stupid right now, Come here — I’ll do it —”

Pigwidgeon was so over excited at the idea of a delivery he was flying around and around Harry’s head, hooting incessantly. Ron snatched Pigwidgeon out of the air and held him still while Alex attached the letter to his leg. “There’s no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be?” Ron went on as he carried Pigwidgeon to the window.

"I think the tasks will get more and more dangerous" Alex said, pulling a few treats out and feeding them to the tiny owl who hooted even more happily.

"What can be more dangerous than facing a Dragon?" Harry asked.

"Oh, I can name a lot of things!" Hermione said, leaning against the owlery wall, her arms folded.

“Right little ray of sunshine, aren’t you?” said Ron. He threw Pigwidgeon out of the window. Pigwidgeon plummeted twelve feet before managing to pull himself back up again; the letter attached to his leg was much longer and heavier than usual. “Well, we’d better get downstairs for your surprise party— Fred and George should have nicked enough food from the kitchens by now”

"How would it be a surprise party if we already know?" Alex asked. But Sure enough, when they entered the Gryffindor common room it exploded with cheers and yells again. There were mountains of cakes and flagons of pumpkin juice and butterbeer on every surface; Lee Jordan had let off some Filibuster’s Fireworks, so that the air was thick with stars and sparks; and Dean Thomas, who was very good at drawing, had put up some impressive new banners.

“Blimey, this is heavy" said Lee Jordan, picking up the golden egg, which Harry had left on a table, and weighing it in his hands. "Both of you should open your eggs together! Let's see what's inside"

"They're supposed to work out the clue on their own" Hermione said swiftly. “It’s in the tournament rules”

“We were supposed to work out how to get past the dragon on our own too" Alex muttered, so only Hermione could hear her, and she grinned rather guiltily. Several other people started to request them to open it. Alex and Harry shared a grin so mischievous that it could put the Weasley twins to shame. Together they dug their hands into the
groove that ran all the way around the egg and pried it open. It was hollow and completely empty but the moment they
opened it, the most horrible noise, a loud and screechy wailing, filled the room, coming from both of their eggs together it echoed off the walls of the Common room as everyone covered their ears.

“Shut it!” Fred bellowed, his hands over his ears.

“What was that?” said Seamus Finnigan, staring at the egg as Harry slammed his egg shut again, just after Alex did. “Sounded like a banshee, Maybe you’ve got to get past one of those next!"

“It was someone being tortured!” said Neville, who had gone very white and spilled sausage rolls all over the floor. “You’re going to have to fight the Cruciatus Curse!”