I'm not going to yell at you

You type the number into your phone, waiting for the other end to pick up, you look at Kate, who is looking at you.

The phone rings once, rings twice, rings a third time, then the automatic voice message system goes off.

You sigh, and put your phone down on the table, then sit down.

You hear Kate's footsteps walk away from you, as she goes upstairs quickly.

After just a few seconds she comes back down, grabbing the small paper from your pocket and entering it into her phone.

It rings once, then twice, a third time, then the other end picks up.

"Yes Laura, don't hang up, I have Y/n with me right now, I'm going to put her on the phone." You stand up immediately, as she hands you the phone.

You take the phone, and explain to her what happened while you were in New York.

"I just- I don't know what to do." You admit, annoyed with yourself.

"He did that for a reason Y/n, as parents you have to put your kids first. I'll work on getting back home, but for now stay with Kate and don't leave the house." Laura says, still on the other end.

"Okay got it, I love you." You say in response.

"I love you too." She replies.

"Arlight bye." You say, hanging up the phone with a feeling of relief, finally being able to talk to your mom.

Before you hand Kate her phone back, you look at her lock screen, noticing the picture of you both.

You hand her the phone, and walk to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Kate asks, walking behind you.

"Going to find my dad." You answer, putting your coat on.

"Y/n, your mom said to stay here." Kate reminds you.

"It's my fault he's gone, so it's my job to get him back." You reply, zipping the coat.

"Y/n it's not your fault, so stop saying that." Kate says, watching you put on your shoes.

"Well I'd rather be mad at myself than you." You respond.

"Be mad at me, yell at the top of your lungs, I don't care, I don't want you to go somewhere and get yourself hurt!" Kate shouts.

"I'm not going to yell at you." You say, annoyed.

"Why not?" She continues to push.

"Because." You say in response.

"That's not a reason." She responds.

"Just yell, why won't you?" She pushes again.

"Because I don't want to be mad at you!" You finally yell at her.

She stands there, watching how furious you look. "I'm sorr-" Kate begins to apologize, but you cut her off.

"How could I be mad at you? Your literally perfect, I tried and I couldn't, so I left becasue that's all I know." You say, almost joking through your pain.

Kate stays in front of you blocking the door.

"I'm sorry for what I said to you at the park, I know it was beyond fucked up, and I know how terrible it was, I was blurred by anger and just pure stupidity, and again... I'm sorry." You say, holding back the tears that you feel are coming.

"I'm sorry for holding you back from helping your dad, he told me not to let you out, and I had to listen to him." She apologizes.

"I know you were doing it to protect me." You admit to not only her, but yourself as well.

"So you understand that I can't let you go out there." She says, reaching he hand behind her back, and locking the door.

"Yes." You sigh, taking your coat off again.

She puts her hand against your cheek, using the other to pull you close to her.

"I love you." You say, putting your arm around her waist.

She smiles at the three words.

"I love you." She says, not being able to help herself kissing you.