Chapter Three

Anastasia looked out of the car window with her cheeks flushed red. She knew that Renée was dying to ask her details. She was ashamed to talk to her about her brother. What would Renée think of her? That she was so desperate that she had to hot upon her brother out of all the guys of Fordsville? 

It was the most picturesque drive of Anastasia's life. Although she came here from her boarding school to spend her holidays with her grandparents every time, she hadn’t been able to see Fordsville properly. Her time was mostly spent at her grandparents house helping them with their bakery. She watched with wonder everything around as the car crossed vast ranches, farms, gurgling creeks and vast plains of wildflowers and steel granaries set against the backdrop of rolling hills. As they drove to their destination, the topography changed with altitude becoming more rugged, mountainous and more forested. They reached Dillon district in two hours and stopped at a clearing amidst the mountains. She could see the others waiting for them in front of a rustic cabin located on a hillside in a sunny, open prairies. The range straddles the Continental Divide in Montana and Idaho. The view from the cabin overlooks the grassy meadows of Horse Prairie

"That's Coyote Cabin. This side is the southern edge of the Beaverhead Mountains. This range straddles the Continental Divide in Montana and Idaho," said Sawyer. Anastasia and Renée nodded looking at the lush green meadows disappearing into a Creek beyond. "Those meadows beyond are the Horse Prairies and that's Coyote Creek, " Sawyer informed them. They stared wide eyed at the beautiful place and the little rustic cabin where they would be staying. 

"Wow, it’s so secluded!" Exclaimed Renée. Sawyer parked his truck in front of the cabin.

"It is but don’t go out alone, grizzlies inhabit the place,” warned Ryder.

"Oh, I would never go anywhere without you,” said Renée with scared eyes. Rex and the others had reached, except Rhett and Adelaide of course.

“They might need be having a secret date on the way!” chuckled Ryder. They all agreed and passed jokes around. After a few minutes, they too arrived and everyone teased them to no end. Rex was busy inspecting the cabin with a forest service staff who handed them their keys. He gathered everyone around him and gave them updates and guidelines about bear and avalanche safety. He also briefed them about the rules and regulations of the forest. When he left, they all went inside the cabin to inspect. 

"There's no electricity here?" Asked Adelaide wide-eyed. 

"This place is fuelled by propane," informed Rhett. Adelaide nodded inspecting the kitchen where she found a wood burning stove for heating. Propane appliances included a stove, oven and overhead lighting. The kitchen area of the cabin was stocked with basic cookware, utensils, dishes and tableware. There was ample cupboard and counter space for food preparation and storage. Ryan, Rihanna and Ryder brought in all the food and groceries that they needed for two days. Adelaide and Rhett arranged them in the cabinets and the propane fuelled refrigerator. 

Renée and Anastasia went to inspect the two bedrooms of the log cabin. There were adequate bunk beds and mattresses to sleep up to six people in each room, along with tables and chairs. 

"The girls in one room and the guys can sleep in the other," announced Renée. 

"First let's get this place cleaned, c'mon give me a hand all of you, " said Rex, checking the cleaning equipment provided. He handed Renée, Anastasia and Sawyer brooms and mops and pails. He also started cleaning along with them. Later the others too joined in after their kitchen work was done. 

"There's no washroom here?" Asked Anastasia, looking for a washroom everywhere. Adelaide and Rihanna stared at her with horror. 

"It's outside. See that outhouse? There's a vault toilet in that," informed Sawyer.