Chapter Fifty-Five

Ryder woke up with a start to a lot of commotion. Opening his eyes, he found himself all alone on the bed. Anastasia wasn’t present in the room. Where did she go so early in the morning? Glancing at the clock, he groaned seeing that it was only 5:30 in the morning. He could sleep for an hour more at least. He was so tired! But the commotion increased outside the room accompanied by weeping! Something was wrong.

Getting up, he quickly freshened up and walked outside to find out. He saw Emma hurrying out of aunt Vida’s room with tears in her eyes. 

“What happened, Emma?” he asked, perplexed. 

“Madame Slovene died in her sleep last night. Anastasia is devastated as she couldn’t talk to her for the last time,” said Emma. Ryder stood stunned hearing the news. She was fine when he had last spoken to her. She had a healthy appetite last night and liked the food he had cooked for her. So what happened so suddenly? He ran towards her room, only to find a sobbing Anastasia and a grim looking Anson standing by the bed. There was a doctor who was checking Aunt Vida.

“I’m sorry, she’s no more,” he gave the final verdict. 

“But she was fine last night. How can she be no more? Are you sure doctor?” asked Ryder with disbelief and anxiety.

“She might have suffered from a cardiac arrest and multiple organ failure in the night but we’ll go for an autopsy to confirm the cause of death,” said the doctor. There wasn’t anything to be done. It seemed as if aunt Vida was somehow keeping alive to say what she wanted to. Ryder stared at her calm and composed face, it seemed as if she was content and happy. After the doctor left to get the autopsy done to issue a death certificate, Anson’s glance fell upon a piece of paper on the bed near aunt Vida. 

“What is this?” asked Anson, picking it up. They all looked at him with curiosity. He opened it and scanned through the contents and handed it to Anastasia. “It’s a note to you,” he said. Anastasia wiped her eyes and took the note from him. She read through it in one breath.

My dear Anastasia,

Thank you for always being there for me like a guardian angel. Thank you for bearing with my illogical ways. Thank you for everything that you’ve done for me, unconditionally, selflessly but now I want you to live your life to the fullest. I want you to be free. I want you to do what your heart desires. I want you to be with the man who loves you. I just met him, gave him my permission and my blessings. I don’t think I’ll be able to make it tonight but I don’t want you to stay here and shed tears for me. With Anson here to look after the business, you are free to live your life. 

Love Aunt Vida. 

PS. Meet Mr. Trenton for my will. All the best.

Anastasia glanced up at Ryder with curiosity. “Aunt Vida spoke to you last night?” she asked. Ryder nodded.

“Yes, she spoke to me and Anson,” he told her. 

“Oh, I might have fallen asleep,” said Anastasia. She handed the note to Ryder and he too went through it. 

Later when the autopsy report arrived, it was confirmed that the doctor was indeed right. The next few days they were very busy with the funeral and the last rites. Later as aunt Vida had wanted, they visited her lawyer, Mr. Trenton. As per the will, all aunt Vida’s wealth and properties were divided equally between Anson and Anastasia. Being extremely busy, Ryder hardly had the time to talk to Anastasia about her decision. He wanted to know whether she was ready to return with him now that she was free. 

After a fortnight, they were done. As they sat at the breakfast table, Anson turned towards his sister. It was time to address the elephant in the room. “So, what are your plans, Sia. Do you want to stay back and look after the business here with me? Ryder could also pitch in. We three can handle it efficiently,” he suggested. Anastasia was quiet for a moment. She had thought a lot about it. She didn’t like this glitzy world of fashion. For her a little bakery in Fordsville and a life with Ryder’s family in Wildcreek Ranch was perfect to be happy. She didn’t need anything else. 

“No, Anson. I studied Fashion Designing because I had been forced into it. If I could have my way, I would have studied the art of baking actually. Since aunt Vida has given me the freedom, I choose to go to Fordsville forever with Ryder. I want to be with dad, granny and grandpa and my family back in Wildcreek Ranch, my best friend as well. Will it be an inconvenience to you?” asked Anastasia anxiously. Ryder gaped at her, it was what he had been too apprehensive to ask. He could sacrifice everything and live here with her, that’s what he had come for but his heart and life was back at Fordsville. However, he too was a selfless guy, and had accepted that Anastasia’s happiness was all that mattered to him. 

“I have no problem at all. Freya is there to help. You can do whatever you want to, Sia. I’ll continue to transfer you the money as aunt Vida’s will states,” said Anson. 

“What will I do with so much money? I have what I want,” said Anastasia, casting a shy glance at Ryder. It filled his heart with joy and all he could think of was to grab her and kiss her senseless! 

“Still I’ll do my duty as your older brother. I’ll send you your share of the money. So when are you guys planning your wedding?” asked Anson.

“I’ll book us tickets for tomorrow. Once we go home, my parents with fix a date. I won’t delay it much. So expect it within this month,” said Ryder, making Anastasia blush. 

“Right, so start packing Sia. Keep me updated but please guys, give me at least a week’s time to make preparations to take leave and spend some time with you guys at Fordsville. I’ve never been there before. Dad as well as you seem crazy about the place. So I’m curious to know what’s so special about the place,” said Anson.

“It’s special to me, it might not be the same for you, Anson. You might like it more here because of the presence of a certain someone,” teased Anastasia a little. Anson rolled his eyes at her. 

“You’re wrong there my dear Sia. I like this place because… well, because I love challenges,” finished Anson lamely. Anastasia chuckled too and so did Ryder. 

“Isn’t that the same thing, Anson? She is a challenge for you,” pointed out Anastasia.

“Whatever! I’m done, I can’t eat a single bite more. Thanks for the breakfast, Ryde. If I eat at this rate, I’ll lose all my muscles and put on flab instead,” he said with a groan. 

“Yeah and then Freya will marry Mike, the Assistant Director and you will be left all flabby and green,” laughed Anastasia.

“It’s not funny, Sia. You know what? I’m waiting for you to leave and produce your battalion of babies with Ryder. At least I’ll be at peace here,” he said with a scowl.

“Battalion? Seriously? I’ll be grateful to God if I’m  alive after delivering one,” said Anastasia with a laugh. “But I know that you’ll miss me. So I’ll come down to spend a month with you and Freya every now and then,” said Anastasia. 

“Where did Freya come from? She doesn’t live here if you’ve forgotten,” said Anson looking displeased. 

“Then call her back, bro. What are you waiting for? She doesn’t have a place of her own. She used to live here before you stormed in here. She left because of you,” said Anastasia. 

“She’s stubborn,” grumbled Anson.

“Why? I thought you love challenges?” said Anastasia. Ryder couldn’t help but smile at their cute non-stop banter. 

“Bye, I’m going to work,” said Anson with a grin. 

“Work or to meet up at the office?” teased Anastasia. Ryder noticed that she seemed to be in high spirits today. Her face glowed with excitement as she teased her older brother. 

“Can’t help it, I’m not lucky to have her make breakfast for me everyday,” said Anson. Ryder laughed knowing that it was meant for him. Anson left with a chuckle while Ryder carried his fiancée to her room. Packing could wait a while. 

“Blue, please, put me down. Someone will see us,” she whispered.

“Who will? Anson has dismissed all the maids. Emma was so upset,” said Ryder. 

“Oh yes, I had forgotten already. I had been so used to seeing this place teeming with people that now it seems odd,” said Anastasia, resting her head on his shoulders. 

“Now there’s only you and me, Annie and our love,” he said softly.

“And our baby,” she reminded him. 
“Good that it’s inside and can’t see what we will be up to now,” said Ryder with a chuckle.