Chapter Twenty-Five

After that chit-chat with her, David Farrell got busy convincing a stubborn Anson Farrell to come home for dinner. “You don’t need to talk to Vida Slovene, just show your face, eat and go. I’m also going to do the same,” said her dad into his phone. Anastasia was surprised to see her dad talk so much. They had never interacted this much before as he was always away on work. For the first time, she saw him relaxed and talking so much with them. Her dad disconnected the call at last and turned towards her.

“I’ve done my job. Hope he turns up. Let’s go home,” he said, getting up. They climbed into the car and her dad drove her home. 

“Dad, you’re looking very relaxed. I like you this way,” she said quietly. Her dad smiled.

“I resigned from the job yesterday,” he said with a smile. Anastasia was surprised. 

“Oh, why? But you don’t look sad at all,” she said, looking puzzled.

“I’m not sad at all. I’ll start my own consultancy. They were sending me to Canada permanently,” said her dad. “Don’t tell your mom. She doesn’t know yet. I’ll tell her when the time's right,” he told her.

Anastasia nodded. “Trust me, dad. I won’t tell anyone,” he promised. Her dad smiled appreciatively. 

“I knew that I could count on you,” said her dad. They reached home which was a posh apartment in an upscale condominium in one of the most coveted areas of Las Vegas. Anastasia settled in her old room. It looked as if nothing had changed much here. After lunch the chef and his team arrived to prepare dinner for Madame Slovene. As the time progressed, Anastasia’s heart constricted with a feeling of dread, a fear at the prospect of meeting her mom’s mentor. She had met her a few times before and although they hadn’t interacted much, Anastasia hated the older woman. She didn’t seem to have a heart being  stone cold and too professional. Her mom seemed to be a slave of Madame Slovene and she behaved very rudely with her mom, making her always shed tears always after she left. 

Anson hadn’t come home even after her dad’s call and it didn’t look like he would. Anastasia wasn’t affected at all. Anson was a rebel and although he didn’t take any interest in any of these matters, he always smiled at her whenever they met. He never talked to her as he was always in combat with his parents. The little time he spent at home went into fighting and warding off his mom. It has been the same scene since he was 15. Prior to that he was in a boarding school and hardly came home. 

Anastasia stared at the dress that her mom had sent for her. It was an elegant royal blue, sleeveless, Mikado dress with a v-neckline. It was very pretty indeed but still Anastasia had no wish to wear it. Her phone buzzed and she jumped up. Was it Ryder? She had been waiting for his answer the whole day but he hadn’t even checked his mobile phone. She rushed and picked up her mobile phone to check. A happy smile broke on her lips. It was indeed Ryder. He had replied to her.

Sorry, I couldn’t see you for the last time. Can I call you now? – Your Blue

The smile on her face widened and she just messaged him back.

Yes. – Annie

The phone buzzed immediately with Ryder’s incoming call. Anastasia accepted his call. 

“Annie, this is so sudden. How can she take you away so soon?” asked Ryder, sounding anguished. 

“She had been calling me for a day but I didn’t accept her call. I wanted to enjoy with you at Renée’s party. I thought that I would deal with her later,” said Anastasia, her voice cracking after hearing Ryder’s voice after so long. Ryder sighed.

“I had planned to visit you in the morning today,” he told her. 

“You wouldn’t have me still. We left at 4:30 in the morning,” she told him with a sigh.