Chapter Forty-Three

Finally the next day, they boarded their flight to Great Falls. Anastasia’s dad was too overwhelmed and couldn’t stop telling them of his childhood escapades in Fordsville with his friends. Finally they reached and to their immense surprise, Rex and Anastasia’s grandpa, Eddie Hampton stood waiting to take them home. 

His eyes filled up seeing his only son after so long. “Davy, I thought I’d die waiting for you,” he said, wiping his tears away. 

“Sorry, dad. This time I really stretched it too far,” said David Farrell. “How's mom?” he asked eagerly. 

“She’s fine, busy as always making all your favorite dishes,” laughed grandpa Eddie. He opened his arms to Anastasia and she ran into them eagerly. 

“Grandpa, I’ve missed you so much,” she said, hugging him back.

“You’ve grown into quite a lady, my dear,” said grandpa with a chuckle. Anastasia blushed and discreetly eyed Ryder who was watching them intently.

“Shouldn’t I get the biggest hug grandpa Eddie for forcing them to come here?” asked Ryder with a chuckle. Grandpa laughed and released Anastasia.

“Of course, my boy,” he said, giving Ryder a hug and a pat on his back. Ryder introduced Rex to Anastasia’s dad and they loaded their luggage and drove away towards home. Rex dropped Anastasia’s dad and grandpa Eddie at their house and they unloaded their luggage as well but Anastasia wanted to meet Renée.  So after meeting her granny Daisy, she climbed back into the car much to Ryder’s satisfaction. Rex drove them to Wildcreek Ranch. 

“So, Ana, you’ve grown into a celebrity, huh? It feels good to see your interviews on TV,” said Rex. Anastasia smiled.

“I don’t want to be a celebrity. I’d rather be a small town baker,” she said with a laugh. Ryder smiled. She hadn’t interacted with him much in the last three days. He was certain that the love they had between them was lost forever. Rex laughed with disbelief. 

“Are you for real?” he asked, making Anastasia smile back in response. She knew that she didn’t want this life at all. She still was the simple girl who loved a certain cowboy and would give up everything to start a life with him. However, she needed another life to fulfill her wishes! This was her mom’s last wish and she had promised her that she would take care of the business forever. So with her own wishes taking a backseat, Anastasia strove harder and harder everyday to fulfill her promise to her mom on her deathbed. She glanced at Ryder who didn’t look as love struck as he was before. He seemed to have outgrown his feelings for her and she felt that it was better this way. Maybe he had found a girl last year and had moved on from her. 

They reached the ranch and Rex parked his car. Ryder jumped out and walked over to the house followed by Anastasia. The door flew open and Renée rushed out with a squeal of delight and her arms open wide. “Ana! Wow, you look so gorgeous! I had never imagined you would look like this,” she exclaimed, making Anastasia blush when Ryder raised an eyebrow at them. Maybe he didn’t agree with his sister. Maybe he had seen more beautiful women. 
“You’re looking so beautiful and glowing yourself. I can see that Sawyer’s magic is working on you,” she laughed.

“Thanks for coming, bestie.  I wouldn’t have wanted another maid of honor,” said Renée, pulling her inside the house. 

"I told you that I'd come back for your wedding. I did, " said Anastasia. 

“You should thank me instead for forcing her to come,” said Ryder with a shrug. 

“Is it true, Ana? You didn’t wish to come here to attend my wedding?” asked Renée with a pout.