Chapter Twenty-Three

Before Anastasia could answer, Ryder pulled her up and whisked her away. “Aren’t we dancing on the dance floor?” Asked Anastasia when he didn’t lead her to the dance floor where the music was on and everyone was busy dancing. 

“No,” said Ryder gruffly. Anastasia gave him a look. What was wrong with him? Why was he behaving in such a manner? He had been avoiding her after the game of tug and war as if she didn’t exist at all. Now all of a sudden, when she was about to leave, he remembered her. 

“I’m not going anywhere with you, Ryder. I need to go home now,” she pointed out. Ryder whirled her around to face him. 

“You have to dance with me. How can you leave so soon? I’m not asking for anything else. I’m trying to stay within my limits, am I not?” he asked, looking hurt. Anastasia gaped at him. He was the one who wasted the opportunity by ignoring her and now how could he look hurt? 

“You’re the one who kept on ignoring me after the games. You had other important work to do, so how can you blame me now?” asked Anastasia with disbelief. 

“You think I had a choice? You don’t want me to kiss you. You want me to be only a friend to you. I don’t think I can be that anymore, Annie. Every time I’m with you, all I want to do is kiss you,” said Ryder, pulling her flush against his chest. Anastasia gasped with surprise and before she could react, his lips crashed to hers in a smoldering kiss. His fingers held onto the back of her head to dominate her mouth fully while his lips parted hers expertly. He deepened the kiss, his tongue plunging into her sweet mouth. It was exactly what he had been dreaming of doing for the last few days. It had robbed him off his sleep, his peace of mind and now that he had finally got what he wanted, it wasn’t enough. He wanted more. He passionately tasted every recess of her sweet mouth yet Anastasia didn’t kiss him back. Frustrated, he broke off momentarily and kissed her neck, sucking the sweet spot there. 

“Kiss me, Annie,” he whispered into her ear, licking a hot trail down to her face. 

“Oh, Blue,” she whispered back, her eager mouth, sweetly claiming his. Ryder was lost in the torture. Her soft touch on his cheeks and the way her sweet mouth deepened the kiss, all made him soar to a different world altogether. He pulled her closer and a moan of pleasure escaped his mouth. 

The sudden sound of footsteps alerted them and they drew apart, breathing heavily. Ryder looked up to see Rihanna coming towards them. She looked a little worried. “What happened?” asked Ryder. 

“Annie’s grandparents are leaving. We looked everywhere but couldn’t find Ana,” said Rihanna. Then she turned to Anastasia. “Come quickly. Granny’s in a hurry to go home,” she said. 

“Oh, what’s the hurry? Isn’t she feeling well?” asked Anastasia, rushing along with her. 

“I have no idea, Ana. Maybe she isn’t feeling well,” said Rihanna.

Ryder sighed and stood there watching her go. She didn’t even turn to look at her, as if she had forgotten what they had just shared. However, his heart didn’t want her to go. He wanted to keep her here with him forever. At the bend, just before disappearing Anastasia looked back. Her sad eyes connected with Ryder’s melancholy ones, filled with so much longing. Her heart went out to him. She blew him a kiss and smiled. Ryder’s eyes lit up as he caught the kiss she blew in his direction. He smiled back, his eyes dancing with excitement. He would go to her house early in the morning before going to college and snatch another kiss from her. 

They rushed inside just as her grandparents were at the main door. She hugged Renée and her mom and ran after them. “What happened granny? Are you feeling sick?” she asked worriedly.