Chapter Fifty-Three

The door was opened by a maid. “Who’s there, Emma?” Asked Anastasia’s voice from the living room inside. 

“Who do you wish to meet, sir?” Asked the maid courteously. 

“Is Anastasia or Anson home?” Asked Ryder eagerly. 

“Anson sir has left for work but Anastasia is here,” informed the maid. “May I know your name sir?” Asked the maid.

“I’m Ryder Wilson,” said Ryder.

The maid excused herself and rushed inside. Ryder peered inside in case he caught Anastasia’s eyes. In a minute, Anastasia came towards the door, panting hard. 

“What a pleasant surprise, Blue! You haven’t informed me that you were arriving today. I just returned from the hospital five minutes back. You’re just on time,” said Anastasia. Ryder smiled following her into the house. 

“Aren’t you happy to see me? I took all the pains to talk to my parents and come here for you,” said Ryder. 

“Of course, I’m happy,” said Anastasia. 

“Then where’s my welcoming hug, Annie? You did not even kiss me,” he reminded her. 

“Shh, don’t say these things here. I don’t want aunt Vida to get another heart attack!” she said in a whisper. Ryder noted the tensed expression on her face. It seemed as if she was more stressed than happy seeing him in her house. 

“Has she been released from hospital?” asked Ryder curiously.

“Yeah, she isn’t doing very well. She’s totally bedridden now,” informed Anastasia. 

“Can I meet her?” asked Ryder. 

“No, please. Not yet. I’ll tell you when the time is right,” said Anastasia, pulling him with her. “Why don’t you freshen up? I’ll show him to your room,” said Anastasia.

“I’m not staying in any other room. I’ll be sleeping with you,” said Ryder stubbornly. They were engaged for God’s sake. Why couldn’t Anastasia be a little bolder? 

“First let us inform aunt Vida first. If she accepts our relationship, you can move in with me,” said Anastasia. Ryder sighed at the delay. He couldn’t understand why he couldn’t meet Vida Slovene now. 

“Is she sleeping? Why can’t I meet her now?” asked Ryder. Anastasia looked horrified and pulled him into a room. With the maids roaming around everywhere, it was very difficult to get any privacy. She closed the door and turned around to face Ryder. 
“I want you to be careful with what you tell aunt Vida. She doesn’t know anything about you. She hates men, marriage and relationships. I don’t know how she would take this news of my engagement. I just don’t want her to get another heart attack. I don’t want to be the cause of her death,” said Anastasia, looking gravely into his eyes. 

“We can’t hide from her forever, Annie. We have to gently give her the news of our relationship. Her thoughts are her personal matter. She cannot dump her thoughts and beliefs upon you. If she hates men that doesn’t mean that you would too. There’s no connection between being a good business woman and marriage. You can give equal attention to both, so how can she object?” Asked Ryder feeling frustrated.

Anastasia sighed looking stressed. She knew that he was right actually. “I know, Blue. Believe me, I hate all this already. If I could, I would have moved away to Fordsville with you,” said Anastasia, moving closer to him and clinging to his neck. Ryder wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer. She embedded her face into his chest. 

“I want you to be a part and parcel of our baby’s life. I want us to live together like everyone else. Just let Anson return home. I want you to meet aunt Vida in his presence. He can handle aunt Vida’s tantrums very well. He'll handle the situation well if anything goes wrong,” said Anastasia, releasing him and looking into his eyes.