Chapter Forty

“What? Are you out of your mind? Why the f*ck are you going to LA?” He yelled when Madame Slovene called him to her room. 

“Please go inside. Aunt Vida will explain everything to you. Mom is also here, she’s with dad,” said Anastasia. 

“Are you crazy? She’ll kill him this time. Why did you let her be with dad?” He yelled at Anastasia. 

“No, she won’t, she’s in the last stage of cancer, Anson. Go to aunt Vida. She will explain everything to you,” said Anastasia. After giving Freya a look, Anson stormed inside to Madame Slovene's room. Anastasia turned to a disturbed Freya. 

“Don’t mind my brother. He’s just worried about me leaving home,” she told her. “Let’s get on with the packing,” said Anastasia, leading Freya to her room. They got down to work, arranging everything into suitcases. Anson stormed into her room and sat down on the bed, and stared at Freya all the more, making her nervous. 

“Anson? What happened? What did aunt Vida tell you?” asked Anastasia as she packed up. 

Anson gave her a tired look. “I’ll tell you when there aren’t any outsiders in your room,” he said, giving the poor Freya a look of hatred. Anastasia sighed at his impossible behavior. Freya jumped up to her feet.

“I can come back later,” she said, giving Anastasia an awkward and embarrassed look. 

“No need, I’ll come back later,” growled Anson, storming out of her room. Anastasia was puzzled by her brother’s behavior. What was suddenly wrong with him? She saw Freya looking at her guiltily.

“It’s okay. Let’s get on with this work. I’ll talk to him later,” she said, and they resumed with the packing. She could hear Anson’s voice as he argued with everyone in the living room. She wanted to go and find out what was bothering him so much but with Freya packing her things, she couldn’t budge. 

Her mom walked inside to see the progress. She was looking pale and tired. “Aunt Bianca, you should lie down and rest,” said Freya. Her mom smiled at Freya fondly. 

“Yes dear. I will lie down here, I think,” said her mom as she lay down on Anastasia’s bed. 

“Mom, I’ll make a quick lunch if you’re here overseeing the packing,” said Anastasia. Her mom nodded.

“I’ll have poached egg and buttered toast and fruits,” said her mom, tiredly. 

“I’ll make that for you, mom,” said Anastasia, rushing to the kitchen. She found her brother and dad busy talking in the living room. “What happened to you two?” she asked with concern.

“Mom asked dad to go to LA with her and he has agreed,” said Anson, flailing his arms helplessly.

“What can I do, Anson? She’s terminally ill. I want her to be happy in the last few months that she has with her,” said her dad. 

“I’m sure that she’s lying to get your sympathy,” said Anson. 

“No, Anson. She had lost her hair to chemotherapy. We’ve seen it,” said Anastasia, going to the kitchen. Her dad walked away to look for his wife.,

“So you are fine with going to LA?” asked Anson. Anastasia nodded as she made lunch. 

“Aunt Vida isn’t well and doesn’t have much time to train anyone else to take over the business empire,” she told him. Anson sighed hearing her words. 

“She wants you too to come to LA and take over the business,” said Anastasia. Anson didn’t reply at all but just helped her with the cooking. After a while Freya peered in and was taken aback to see Anson in the kitchen with Anastasia.