Chapter Twenty-One

Anastasia had no answer to his statement. She thought it would be best to avoid it. They sat for a while with Ryder talking about his college, his studies, his future plans and his football. Anastasia came to know a lot about him. She came to know how focused he was in his future plans. She knew that he would forever live in Fordsville, his life was settled here with his family business while hers was destined in LA. They could never have a future together. After discussing his family, his siblings it was at last time to go back home. 

“When will we meet again, Annie?” asked Ryder with a sigh as they stopped in front of her house. 

“You can call me whenever you want to meet. We’re friends after all,” she told him. Ryder rolled his eyes at her words. 

“Why do you have to rub it in my face all the time? I know we are just friends,” said Ryder impatiently. Anastasia grinned knowingly but she didn’t pursue the matter further. 

“Okay, see you then, Blue,” she said, looking at him briefly and walking away. She was amazed that Ryder had made no attempts to kiss her or get into her pants. In fact, he didn’t even attempt anything while they were out at such a romantic place. All he did was talk. He looked happy just talking to her. It made her reconsider her doubts. Maybe Ryder did care for her! 

“Annie,” said Ryder’s quiet voice echoing in the darkness. Anastasia was brought out of her trance and she turned and looked at him. He stood leaning against his car, watching her in silence yet his eyes spoke volumes under the soft glow of the lights from the patio. Anastasia walked towards him slowly, her heart beating rapidly, the butterflies fluttering in her stomach. Would he kiss her? What did he want from her now? She stood in front of her and gazed at his sad eyes.  Ryder smiled and handed out her mobile phone to her. 

“You left it in the car. How will I contact you then?” asked Ryder. Anastasia was a little taken aback. That’s it? He called her only to hand her the mobile phone? She took it from his hands with a disappointed look on her face. 

“Thank you,” she said, turning to go. But Ryder just couldn’t leave without kissing her. He could feel it in his heart that she wanted her as much as he did. He caught her hand, compelling her to look up at him. 

“Friends hug all the time. Won’t you give me a hug, Annie?” he asked softly in the still night. Anastasia wanted to hug him, she wanted to be wrapped in his arms. Unable to resist him, she wrapped her arms around his torso and hugged him tightly, her face embedding into his chest. Ryder was taken aback by the suddenness of her actions. He quickly recovered and pulled her closer into his body. A deep sigh of longing escaped her mouth which didn’t go unnoticed by Ryder. He kissed her forehead, it was a feather light touch yet Anastasia trembled with a strange need, a need to feel his love. She looked up into his eyes. There was a storm brewing up in them as if he was battling to restrain himself. 

“Blue,” she whispered but he didn’t let her continue, his forefinger touched her lips to quieten her.

“I know that we’re just friends. But it doesn’t change the way I feel about you. I’ll always love you, Annie. Even when you leave me, I’ll always love you. Even if you don’t keep in touch, I’ll always wait for you, till my last breath. I don’t want anything in return if you don’t want me. I just want you to be happy, that’s all,” he said with a sad smile, releasing her. Anastasia was rooted to the spot by his words. She knew in her heart that he really loved her. 

“Good night, Annie,” said Ryder and turning, he opened the door and climbed into his car, without even waiting for her reply. He drove away as a few tears fell from his eyes but he didn’t bother to wipe them. Anastasia couldn’t see them in the darkness of the night. After he left, Anastasia slowly walked into her grandparents house. She knew that she was now doomed. Her heart wanted more. She didn’t want to leave Fordsville at all. She wanted to live here forever with Ryder. 

The next two weeks she didn’t see Ryder. It seemed as if he had disappeared from her life. Anastasia was at her wit’s end. What happened to make him disappear? Did he lose interest in her? Were all those promises and declarations of love completely fake? Were they really a means to have physical intimacy with her? She just couldn’t control the disappointment in her heart. It was as if she felt heartbroken and betrayed. ‘Why did you have to come into my life, Blue? Why did you make me start hoping?’ she said, breaking down at least into her pillow. Her time at Fordsville had nearly come to an end. She was dreading that her mom would arrive any day and just take her away to Las Vegas forever. Every day the phone rang and she panicked. It was always someone else! Ryder never called her as he had promised that he would. Thankfully neither did her mom call. In fact, it was strange that Renée too didn’t call her. With Renée’s eighteenth birthday coming up, Anastasia knew that she was busy. She would call when she was free. After all, Renée would definitely invite her on her birthday! 

It was evening and Anastasia was busy at the shop. She had completed the Fashion Designing course on a fast track and got her certificate yesterday. Therefore the only thing she did the whole day today was handle the bakery. It was her favorite thing to do and she tried to enjoy to her heart's content since after leaving Fordsville, she would never be able to do what she loved doing. 

“Have you forgotten me, Annie?” said Ryder’s husky voice in her ear. She looked up from the computer where she was busy generating a bill for a bulk order. There stood Ryder right in front of her with a smile on his lips and his eyes brightening up instantly when they connected with her surprised ones. 

“No, you’re the one who has forgotten me. I can see how much you love me,” she complained with an eye roll. Ryder’s grin widened. 

“So you did miss me, hmm?” he said, looking very satisfied. Anastasia scowled at him and handed the bill as well as the order to the customer. He thanked and left the shop, leaving them alone with one another. 

“You didn’t answer me, Annie,” pointed out Ryder.

“Yes but only as a friend. I wasn’t expecting you here at all. I thought you lost interest in being my friend,” said Anastasia, fidgeting with her fingers. Ryder laughed. 

“I can never lose interest in you, Annie. I’m happy with anything that you can offer me, even just friendship. The last two weeks were very hectic as there’s an emergency at our Las Vegas hotel and my brothers and uncles went away. I was helping with the business in their absence. We didn’t have any respite. Everyday, I planned to come and visit you for a few minutes but work kept on and I couldn’t get away,” said Ryder. Anastasia stared at him with surprise. After knowing the real reason, she felt guilty for judging him, for jumping to her own conclusions. 

“I’m sorry, Blue. I had no idea. I missed you so much that I was angry that you didn’t come to see me like you had promised to,” said Anastasia. Ryder opened his arms out to her.

“I’m here now, am I not? Then quickly give me a hug,” he said with a smile. She ran into his arms and he wrapped them around her, crushing her to his hard torso. “Oh, I missed you so much!” said Ryder, closing his eyes and feeling her warmth. It was bliss! Suddenly his phone buzzed with an incoming call from Sawyer and he immediately released her and took the call. Anastasia sighed and attended to the customer to had just walked inside the shop. After two minutes, he disconnected the call and walked up to her.

“I’ve got to go. Ren's birthday is ten days later. Hope you remember? We’re organizing a party for her at home. I’ll come down later to invite all three of you. Be prepared,” said Ryder, rushing out. Anastasia sighed. She wanted to hug him longer but couldn’t. This friendship thing was getting to her nerves. While Ryder could restrain himself, it seemed that she alone was having difficulty in controlling her urges. 

Three days later, Ryder paid them a brief visit along with Renée to invite everyone to the birthday party. Anastasia was more restless. She hated these brief visits from Ryder since he would be gone before she could speak her mind. 

She bought a nice dress to wear to the party, wanting to look beautiful for Ryder. She bought Renée’s birthday gift and was ready to go and enjoy the party. However the night before, she received a phone call from her mom. Her entire world crumbled around her. She knew that it was time to say goodbye to Ryder and to Fordsville.