Chapter Forty-Six

Ryder was stunned by her request. Did it mean that she wanted to give a name to their relationship? He just couldn’t believe that she could still want a simple cowboy like him. 

“Do you realize what you’ve asked for? If I ask for your hand, there would be no going back. I’ll fight till I’m able to convince her. Can you go through the drama that will break out? Think we’ll before I get my hopes up and make the final move,” said Ryder, a strange fire burning in his eyes. 

Anastasia nodded. She had never been more sure. Ryder was the only one she had ever wanted and it would never change. She would love him forever, he lived inside her soul. No one else could occupy his place. “I’m sure that I’ll never back off, Blue. You have my word for it but two things I don’t want to do. I don’t want to hurt aunt Vida and I don’t want to break my promise to my mother,” said Anastasia, climbing off his lap. 

Ryder looked deep in thought about what she said. He would have to think of a solution that will make everyone happy. But that can wait for two weeks. He wanted to make the most of the time he had with her. “I’ll keep all that in mind. But before that I want to take you out on a date tomorrow. Will you?” Asked Ryder eagerly. Anastasia’s heart instantly started a happy dance and she nodded.

“Yes,” she said shyly, remembering their disastrous last date to Lake Mead. It had been such a long time back yet she remembered every detail vividly like it had just happened yesterday. 

“Don’t worry, it won’t be anything like our last date,” said Ryder with a chuckle.

“I’ll look forward to it,” she said, climbing out of his car. “Bye, Blue,” she said softly, her eyes twinkling under the moonlit sky. 

“Be ready by 3 o’clock in the afternoon. Pack an overnighter,” he said, watching her for her reaction. 

“Oh, are we staying the night? Where are we going?” she asked curiously. Ryder smirked and started his car.

“Good night, Annie. Sweet dreams of me. I’ll see you tomorrow at 5,” he said, maneuvering the car away, leaving Anastasia to stare at him with curiosity. 

The next morning, Anastasia couldn’t concentrate on anything at all. She packed a bag full of essentials and kept on dreaming throughout the morning about her dream date with Ryder. “I’m going out with Ryder today after lunch, granny Daisy. I’ll return tomorrow,” she said while preparing lunch with her granny. 

“Sure, don’t forget to carry protection,” said granny Daisy in mock seriousness as she chopped the vegetables for the slow cooked beef stew that she was about to make. Anastasia choked on her spit hearing her words. Was that all she could come up with?

“Granny, please! You really have a dirty mind,” she scolded her granny whose face finally broke out into a wide grin. 

“What’s the big deal in it? It’s quite a normal thing between two people in love,” said granny Daisy. “The only way Vida Slovene will accept your relationship is to get pregnant with Ryder’s baby else she would mold you into someone just like her. No one waits forever, my dear. If you delay this, Ryder will eventually move on and marry someone who loves him. With his looks and fame, I’m sure there are many who would be readily available,” warned her granny.

Her granny’s words got her thinking but she wasn’t ready to get pregnant just yet. She wanted to spend time with Ryder first, not just little moments together. She wanted to live with him every second of the day, connect with him, show him how much she loved him. When they both were sure about their relationship, then they could think of bringing a baby into this world. 

“I’ll think about it, don’t worry,” she just said with a shrug. Granny Daisy didn’t pursue the matter any further and they became busy with lunch. Anastasia’s heart jumped with excitement as the time flew by. After lunch, she sat in front of her closet to decide what to wear. It was a difficult decision since Ryder hadn’t even given her any hint about where they were off to. After much thought, she chose a soft beige dress over a pair of figure-hugging leggings and a matching soft beige jacket and scarf. Spraying her latest craze, Antonio Banderas Blue Seduction, she dabbed on some lipstick and was ready to go.