Chapter Ten

Ryder spoke to his dad about Eddie Hampton’s request. His dad informed their ranch hand, Samuel Jones whose son, Evan was looking for a job. So it was fixed that Evan would go and meet Eddie Hampton and talk to him. Ryder would drop in after college to take an update. Happy to get a chance to see Anastasia again, Ryder sailed through the day at college. With their football match coming up in two days, there was no escaping coach Harrison. 

It was late and he was drenched in sweat and filth when coach released them. He couldn’t meet Anastasia in this condition? So somehow he and Ryan reached home. Ryder rushed to take a shower, eager to go to Anastasia’s house. However, after freshening up, his family started planning his parents' 25th wedding anniversary and he couldn’t go anywhere. It was decided that after four days they would throw a lavish party at Wildcreek Ranch inviting their friends, close relatives and well wishers. Ryder was excited to overhear Renée excitedly talking to her bestie, inviting her to the event. 

“Why won’t you come, Ana?” asked a worried Renée. 

“But this is a small family get together. Please, I’ll talk to your grandparents,” coaxed Renée. Ryder couldn’t take it anymore. Why wasn’t Annie agreeing to come over for the party? He felt very disappointed. So picking up the keys of his motorcycle, he rode towards Anastasia’s house, eager to convince her. He stopped the motorcycle right in front of her shop since he could see her there, struggling with five customers all on her own. He walked into the shop and all heads turned towards him. 

“Need help, Annie?” he asked in his deep husky tone, standing at the counter nearest to her, leaning in to gaze into her eyes. Anastasia’s eyes widened further seeing him suddenly right in front of her. She had been waiting all day to see him, and now when she had given up hope, he was here. She was tongue tied not knowing what to say when the young girl standing next to him cleared her throat.

“Why don’t you ask me, Ryder? I’d definitely need help,” she laughed. Ryder turned to look at the girl and rolled his eyes. 

“I’m sure you have many others to help you, Cassie,” he said with a cold look on his face. Anastasia looked away from them and continued to deal with her customers. It was obvious that Ryder knew every girl in Fordsville. Renée had warned her against him. Then why didn’t her heart listen to any warning? 

“There’s no one to help me, Ryder. Why don’t you come with me and find out for yourself?” invited the girl named Cassie. Anastasia was restless. Would he agree and go with her? Would they end up doing the deed? She quickly dealt with all the customers except Cassie who seemed busy with Ryder rather than with her order. 

“Maybe some other time,” said Ryder, dismissing the girl but she didn’t seem to take the hint at all.

“I haven’t forgotten what we shared, Ryder. I want you to know that I’m always there for you,” said the girl. Ryder’s eyes widened with horror and he glanced at Anastasia’s pale face and pursed lips. She refused to look his way, trying to be busy wrapping up her work at the billing counter. However, he was saved from replying as Anastasia glanced at Cassie angrily. 

“Do you need something, ma’am? If not, I’m closing down the shop,” she asked Cassie, rather bluntly. Her whole body was seething with jealousy over which she had no control whatsoever. She refused to even glance at Ryder since he hadn’t at all declined Cassie's offer. He just postponed it which only meant that he would accept whatever she was offering him later. 

“Yes. I need a lot of stuff. Do you have someone to deliver them? I don’t have my car with me right now,” said the girl smiling at Ryder. 

“Order right away. I’ll have them delivered right away,” said Anastasia. The girl turned to look at her display window and ordered a lot of stuff. While Anastasia was busy generating the bill for her, Cassie turned towards Ryder.