Chapter Thirty-Seven

“No, Sia, it’s not your fault at all. Mom had come home today morning to take you back to LA with her. She had wrapped up her work here and was going back. When she came to know that dad had given you permission to go on a date, she was furious. They fought a lot, mom was very harsh on him. When she left, dad went into a shell. He didn’t have breakfast either. I went to his study to check and saw him clutching at his heart. I rushed him to this place. He hasn’t gained consciousness since then,” said Anson, feeling upset. Anastasia gaped at him and so did Ryder. Anastasia had no idea that her mom would come to get her so soon. She hadn’t even completed her college degree! 

“Why would mom want to take me away now?” asked Anastasia in panic. 

“I have no idea, Sia. Mom's become paranoid about the Slovene issue. Why can’t she leave us alone and go ahead with her dreams, I have no idea,” said Anson, looking angry.

“How is uncle David now?” asked Ryder at last, coming out of his shocked state. Anson looked at him and shook his head with dread. 

“They have conducted the tests and detected a blockage, a clot in his arteries. They’ve injected medicines to dissolve the blood clot that's blocking blood flow to his heart. They’re monitoring him closely. If his condition doesn’t improve they’ll go for cardiac catheterization and coronary intervention,” said Anson, leading the way towards the Emergency Department. 

“Didn’t Dad gain consciousness at all?” asked Anastasia worriedly.

“No, I’m running around talking to doctors, arranging for medicines, doing formalities while mom's gone back to LA,” said Anson. 

“Did you inform her?” asked Anastasia. 

“Yes, she was boarding her flight when I called her. She told me that everything will be fine and went away,” said Anson. Anastasia frowned with disbelief. She hated her mom all the more now and a sense of desperation came over her to revolt against her mom. 

“I’m with you bro. We can revive uncle David together. I’ll just cancel my flight,” said Ryder eagerly. Anastasia stared at Ryder, shocked beyond words. Anson nodded. He really needed someone with him. 

“Will it be a problem for you?” he asked worriedly. Ryder shook his head, taking out his mobile phone to cancel his ticket. 

“No problem at all,” he said. “Done,” he said. 

The next few hours were very crucial as her dad didn’t improve and had to undergo surgery. The three of them didn’t get any respite the whole day. It was evening, when David Farrell was shifted to his bed and was stable. 

“Only one of you can stay here since the patient is unlikely to gain consciousness at night,” said the nurse. Ryder offered to stay and sent Anson and Anastasia home. 

“I’ll freshen up and have dinner and come back to relieve you, bro,” said Anson, feeling grateful for his help. They went home and Anastasia quickly started to make a simple dinner. In fifteen minutes she was done making beef stew and rice. Anson ate hungrily since he hadn’t even had his breakfast due to the emergency situation.

“I’m so grateful to Ryder for everything he’s doing for us when our own mom isn’t bothered,” said Anson. “I’m proud of your choice, Sia. Ryder is a gem of a boy and he really loves you,” said Anson.

“What’s the use, bro? We can never be together because of mom's stubbornness. She will do what she has adopted me for, you know that. I don’t have any control over my life. I’m not her own daughter, after all,” she said with a sigh.

“It’s bullshit. You should elope with Ryder and pop a baby out. Mom will leave you at peace,” said Anson, making Anastasia gape at him with shock.