Chapter Nine

At home, Ryder felt restless and snappy. His heart was missing Anastasia. He wanted to talk to her again. His best friend, Caleb came over for a talk and Ryder sat on the porch with him. They sipped beer and talked about their plans for the weekend. 

“No plans yet, dude but I think there’ll be a party here. It’s mom and dad’s 25th wedding anniversary,” said Ryder. 

“Great, I’ll be away in San Francisco. Mom wants to visit her parents there. So Hails and I would be accompanying her. I thought you could come along too,” said Caleb. Hailey was Caleb's sister and two years younger than them. 

“Maybe next time, Cal. I’ll be helping with the arrangements,” said Ryder. He wouldn’t want to go anywhere with Anastasia around. He wanted to see her again. 

Renée noted a change in Ryder the next day. He was very eager to know more about Anastasia than how her day went at college. And what was more interesting was he seemed to have all the time in the world to accompany her to Anastasia's house after college. 

"You don't have football practice today?" Asked Renée with surprise. Ryan was still at the grounds. Then how was Ryder free?

Ryder scratched his neck looking a little embarrassed. "I'm sick so I excused myself from coach Harrison, " he informed her. Renée looked at him suspiciously. 

"Oh! But you don't look sick. You can drop me and go home to rest," she suggested.

"No!" Shouted Ryder in a panicked tone. Then he looked at her jaw-dropped stare and controlled himself. "I mean I'm feeling a little better. So I'll go with you. I can't let you return home alone. You're my only little sister," he reasoned. Renée rolled her eyes at him.

"Right, you remembered it today?" She teased. Ryder grinned at her. He knew that she had understood how much he wanted to see Anastasia again. Renée wasn’t very pleased with him. Who wanted their big brother to tag along? How would she chat with Anastasia with Ryder hovering around? 

“I’m sure you have some other important work to do,” said Renée. Ryder shook his head vehemently. 

“None,” he said, driving up to Anastasia’s house and switching off the ignition. His heart skipped a beat or two at the prospect of meeting her again. He hadn’t been able to stop thinking about her the whole day. He had overheard Renée talking to Anastasia in the morning. They were planning to meet after college. It had made him restless too and his brain cooked up ways to meet Anastasia. He even declined the college heartthrob, Lydia right in front of her friends, reducing her to tears. He didn’t feel even an ounce of guilt afterward and here he was eagerly following Renée to her best friend’s house. 

The door opened before they could even reach the doorbell and Anastasia emerged carrying a huge carton, staggering literally under its weight. Ryder rushed forward to take the carton from her hands. Their hands brushed in the process and goose bumps erupted on Anastasia’s arms. She stared wide-eyed at Ryder, not having expected him here at all. Renée cleared her throat feeling shocked that her best friend hadn’t noticed her!

“Hello! Even though I'm here for God’s sake!” she said impatiently. Ryder grinned while Anastasia blushed a little. 

“Of course you’re here, Ren. I’ve seen you coming from the window, “ she said not telling her that she hadn’t seen Ryder following her. Renée grunted and gave her brother a disgusted look. 

“Well, I can stand with this forever if you want me to,” said Ryder making Renée choke on her spit. 

Anastasia looked embarrassed. “Umm, I’m sorry, Blue. Please come with me. This goes to the bakery shop,” she said, walking towards the shop.