Chapter Fifty-One

Ryder gaped at Anson, surprised by his announcement. “Why such an abrupt decision to leave?” Asked Ryder eagerly. Anson got up to leave as his work was done at the restaurant. 

“It wasn’t a sudden decision. Aunt Vida is sinking. Sia isn’t able to cope up on her own given her condition,” said Anson, casting a last look around the place. Ryder’s interest was instantly piqued. 

“Condition? What condition?” He asked, looking clueless. 

“It’s not my position to tell you, Ryde. Sia's here to help me pack up. Why don’t you come home with me? You can talk to her yourself,” said Anson, leading him out of the restaurant. 

“Okay, maybe she doesn’t want to meet me,” said Ryder hesitantly. 

“Maybe, she’s really depressed after hearing the news of your wedding. So, when is your wedding?” asked Anson with a sigh, driving towards his house. Ryder gaped at him, feeling shocked to the core. 

“What wedding? I’m not marrying anyone,” said Ryder, his heart sinking at the news of Anastasia’s reaction to the fake news. 

“Granny Daisy told Anastasia that you’re marrying someone called Hailey in a month,” said Anson, giving a brief glance at him. 

“Oh, that was fake news to get Hailey’s boyfriend jealous. It was her idea and it worked. She has already left Fordsville with him,” said Ryder with a sigh. He had no idea that the idea would backfire at him. Anson looked thoughtful as he maneuvered the car through the roads towards home. 

“In that case, you should have informed Sia. She was devastated when she heard the news,” said Anson, looking displeased. 

“I tried to call her but she didn’t accept my calls,” said Ryder, feeling guiltily than ever. 

“Maybe because she was busy at the hospital with aunt Vida as well as her own health. I had no idea till a week ago. I wrapped up everything here as soon as I possibly could,” said Anson. Finally, they reached home and Anson parked the car inside his garage. They both climbed out of the car. Anson had his own set of keys and he unlocked the door, leading Ryder inside. 

“Sia? Are you still there?” asked Anson. He saw the nicely packed up cartons everywhere. 

“Yeah, I’m in my room,” yelled Anastasia from upstairs. Ryder’s heart skipped a beat or two hearing her voice. It had been almost a month since he had seen her. He still carried the ring everywhere he went. If Ryan’s wedding wouldn’t have come up, he would have gone to LA to woo Anastasia. However, he was thankful that he came to Las Vegas instead since he wouldn’t have been able to meet her if he went to LA. 

“Why don’t you go and meet her?” said Anson, pushing him towards Anastasia’s room. Ryder climbed up the stairs, his heart beating like crazy. He went upstairs and stood right outside her door, staring inside through the open door. He saw her sitting on her bed amidst a lot of clothes and accessories, arranging them nearly into a suitcase laid out in front of her. He stared at her longingly. In the last one month, she has changed so much. She had reduced a lot of weight and there were dark circles under her hollow eyes. She didn’t look like the Anastasia he knew. The dark circles under her eyes and her uncombed, excessively pale face made him stop right in his tracks. Was she unwell? 

Ryder felt guilty and couldn’t take a single step towards her. What would he tell her? How would she react after seeing him? Did she hate her now? 

“Sia, look who has come to meet you,” said Anson coming up from behind him, seeing his dilemma. At that point in time, Ryder just wanted to vanish from the scene, unable to face Anastasia. He felt ashamed of the stunt he pulled with Hailey on the spur of the moment. He should have gone to LA long back to support her instead.