Chapter Thirty-One

Her dad came forward and pulled her into a hug. “You don’t need to do a thing, sweetheart. Just leave everything to God. If your love for each other is true, I’m sure your love will win against all odds. So, is Ryder Kevin or Keith’s son? I haven’t been in touch with them for ages,” asked her dad with a smile, remembering his childhood friends. 

“He's uncle Kennedy's son, dad,” informed Anastasia, wiping her tears away. Her dad’s words gave her hope.

“Oh! That’s great! Last when I met Kenny, he was quite young. Now I’m sure that your Ryder will definitely pursue you. He should be as stubborn as his dad was when he was young,” said her dad. “If he has followed you all the way from Fordsville, he should follow you anywhere,” he told her, making her smile shyly. She just wished that her dad’s words came true. 

“Call him over. I’d love to meet him,” said her dad with a smile on his face.  Anastasia nodded, her heart skipping a beat or two hearing her dad’s words. She knew that her dad approved of Ryder and it made her very happy. Anastasia eagerly waited for Ryder’s call to invite him over. She had no idea how long he would stay here. So when he didn’t call by afternoon, she called him instead, unable to control her urges. 

Ryder immediately accepted the call. “Can’t stay without me or what?” he said teasingly into the phone.

“Of course, I can. I just called to inform you that dad wants to meet you. So are you free tonight?” she asked hesitantly, with a shy smile on her face. Did she seem too eager? 

“I’m always free for you, Annie. I can come right now,” said Ryder with a smirk. 

“No, not now. Come over for dinner,” said Anastasia. 

“What if I can’t wait that long? I’m coming in an hour,” he stated.

“Come at 6 o’clock, please,” begged Anastasia. “I have to be prepared to serve you something at least,” she explained. Ryder chuckled.

“What’s the big deal in that? Just serve yourself to me. I can devour you anytime, for breakfast, lunch as well as dinner,” said Ryder with a laugh. 

“Haha, very funny! You’ll devour me in front of my dad?” she said sarcastically. 

“Just kidding! Okay, I’ll be there by 5 o’clock. I’ll just sip beer and watch you cook for me,” he said, his eyes flashing with excitement. “Don’t decline, please. I won’t disturb you at all,” he said, making Anastasia give in.

“Okay, see you then,” she said, disconnecting the call. She rushed to her dad’s room to inform him about Ryder’s presence at dinnertime. “He said he’d be here before dinner. Will that be okay, dad?” she asked hesitantly. Her dad smiled and nodded.

“I’d love the company,” he said. “If you want, I can call Anson and get food from the restaurant. You can just prepare a favorite dessert of his,” suggested his dad. 
Anastasia’s eyes sparkled with delight at his suggestion. Although she loved cooking, but at the moment she wanted to spend time with Ryder more than spend it slogging in the kitchen. 

“Yes, dad. Please can you call Anson?” said Anastasia eagerly. Her dad nodded and picked up his phone to call. Anastasia went to the kitchen to decide what special dessert she would make for Ryder. Settling for the iconic Lobster Tails of Vegas, she checked for the ingredients she needed.  With two hours at hand, she could easily make the pastry first and while it was being cooked, she could prepare the filling. Soon a batch of delicious pastries in the shape of lobster tails were ready stuffed with French cream, a custard folded with whipped cream. Satisfied with the outcome of her hard work, Anastasia rushed to her room to change.