Chapter Four

Anastasia blinked and staggered backwards, affected by his nearness. Her eyes went wide hearing his words. Dues? What dues were he talking about?

“Every shopkeeper gives suggestions to boost their sales. Therefore I owe you nothing, Blue,” she shrugged, her eyes challenging him to defy. Ryder wasn’t giving up. He again closed the distance between them. 

“Do they extract entangled hair from zippers as well?” He asked, staring into her eyes. The look from his blue crystalline eyes was intense and hypnotizing. Anastasia’s head reeled and she looked away. ‘Run, escape, Ana. He’s asking for se*ual favors that start with a kiss and end on the bed!’ warned her inner mind. 

“It was just a gesture of help. I’m sorry that I asked you. In future, I’ll steer clear of you. even if I need help I’ll ask a stranger on the road rather than you. Tell me how much I owe you and I’ll pay for your services,” she said, taking offense and walking towards the house. Ryder caught her hand.

“I wasn’t asking for any monetary fees. All I need is a kiss,” he told her, his eyes flashing with a strange emotion. Anastasia's jaws dropped and she gaped at him. It was such an awkward moment. Did he really ask her for a kiss? She shook her head vehemently.

“Are you crazy? Why should I kiss you out of all the people in the world?” she asked, looking horrified at the idea. Ryder was taken aback by her behavior. He was such a handsome hunk of a guy! All the girls would have been overeager to kiss him while this slip of a teenager looker appalled at the idea? As if he had a contagious disease! She brushed past him and this time ran towards the house leaving the topic hanging in the air. Ryder plunged to catch hold of her but she was really fast. For the first time he was stunned at a girl’s reaction to him. She ran away at the mention of a kiss? He walked towards the cabin, suddenly feeling a little blue. 

It became a challenge for him now. ‘Show her your worth, Ryde. Compel her to kiss you,’ said his inner voice. He walked into the house with a scowl to see Renée and Anastasia already at the dining table, attacking their plates that were heaped with delicious food. 

“Ryder, do you want your lunch now?” asked Rihanna. Ryder nodded and walked to the kitchen to see what she and Adelaide had cooked. 

“This looks delicious. I’d better eat now before it disappears,” he said, picking up his plate and serving himself the delicious looking beef stew and the bread rolls. He walked towards the table where Renée and Anastasia were sitting down and whispering amongst themselves in hushed tones. Ryder wondered what they were discussing. Was Anastasia complaining about his demand for a kiss? Heaven forbid! He sat down opposite them and Renée groaned. 

“Ryde, why are you following us?” she groaned, looking pissed off.

“I’m not! What? Can’t a guy eat in peace?” he asked, rolling his eyes at them. The three of them sat in silence eating. Every time Anastasia looked up, she found Ryder’s gaze upon her. 

“Bro, you’re staring at my bestie. Don’t you have anything else to do?” complained Renée after a while. 

“Why should I? You’re imagining stuff, Renée Wilson,” said Ryder, picking up his plate and going to the kitchen for a second helping. The truth was that he was pissed off at Renée’s constant interference. Why did Anastasia have to be Renée’s bestie? They were so stuck to each other and it was getting impossible for him to even talk to Anastasia. 

“Why are you scowling, Ryde? Is the food that bad?” Asked Rihanna, seeing him help himself to more. 

“No, I’m just pissed off,” he told her.

“Ignore them, Ryde. See if she wants to talk to you. Why do you have to fall all over her?” asked Rihanna in a hushed tone. Ryder gaped at his sister. What she said made sense. He should see if Anastasia seeks him out. He had clarified his interest in her till now. He will ignore them from now on! It was easier said than done with her looking so enchanting and pulling him like a magnet.