Chapter Twenty-Seven

Anastasia didn’t see her dad the whole of next morning. He had locked himself up in his study last night since the fight. She didn’t disturb him knowing that he might need the space to get a grip over himself. Twenty-four hours had passed by and it was dinnertime. Worried, she walked into the kitchen just in time when the doorbell rang. Who could it be at this hour? Did her dad go out? She had no idea, she hadn’t checked out of anxiety and spent her day in her room going through her new books. She would need to join her new college but she needed the details first. With her dad upset, she decided to wait till he was normal again. 

The doorbell rang again and she rushed to open the door. To her immense surprise, Anson stood at the doorstep, carrying bags filled with his stuff. “Surprise, Sia, I’ve come home,” he announced with a dazzling grin on his face. Anastasia grinned at him, feeling happy that she wouldn’t be all alone at home now. She clapped her hands with joy and moved away to let him inside. 

“This is shocking Anson! What caused this transformation in you?” she exclaimed with surprise. Anson grinned and kept his stuff down, straightening his back.

“What? Aren’t you happy that your brother’s back?” he asked playfully, making Anastasia stare at him with disbelief. He had always been a rebel since childhood and she had always seen him fighting. So she could hardly relate to this changed Anson standing in front of her with a smile on his face. They hardly interacted like siblings in the past. In fact, they hadn’t spoken so much to one another as Anson was always away from home or busy fighting with his mom. “Where’s dad?” he asked, looking around with concern. Anastasia shrugged.

“I haven’t seen him since last night,” she told him. Anson looked at her with disbelief. 

“Isn’t he at home?” he asked her. 

“I don’t know. He has been locked in his study since last night and he hasn’t emerged yet,” she said with a sigh. Anson looked distraught as he rushed towards their dad’s study.

“You should have checked up on him, Sia. I just pray that nothing untoward happened to him,” he said, making Anastasia panic. She hadn’t thought along those lines at all and rushed after her brother, clutching at her heart. 

Anson tried the door to the study and to his relief, it unlocked and they went inside. They saw their dad, sitting amidst bottles of whiskey. The room was in a mess but it was the stench of alcohol that was unbearable. Anastasia switched on the AC, so that the stake air could escape. “What are you two doing here?” asked their dad. 

“Enough, dad. You need to get a grip of yourself and eat something. You’ll fall sick this way,” said Anson, helping his dad to his feet. Anastasia also held one side but she was too delicate to be of any help. 

“When did you come?” her dad asked Anson. 

“I’ve returned for good, dad. I’m not going anywhere now,” he told his dad. 

David Farrell smiled for the first time in twenty-four hours since his wife had left him. “That’s good to hear, Anson,” he said. 

“Dad, shall I serve your dinner now? You haven’t eaten anything since last afternoon,” said Anastasia worriedly. 

“I need a shower first, Ana. Why don’t you serve dinner. I’ll join you in a minute, okay?” said her dad.

“Yes,” she said, happily. Anson helped his dad to his room while Anastasia served themselves dinner. 

She was glad that her father could get a grip over himself finally. She was also thankful that Anson had come home to help her. She had been so lost on her own. Her father seemed quite normal at dinner and spoke to her about joining her college. “I’ll take her to college tomorrow, dad, don’t worry,” said Anson. Anastasia and her father were immensely surprised at the overnight change in Anson.