Chapter Seven

Anastasia stared at Ryder and then at the nuggets. Should she kiss him for the treats? Well, a peck on the cheek would do no harm! Would it? Ryder watched her and then seeing the hesitation in her eyes, popped a nugget into his mouth and chewed. 

“Delicious! And all mine!” He said with a deep smirk on his face. Anastasia couldn’t stay back any longer, her stomach was killing her and the delicious looking chicken nuggets didn’t help either. She reached forward and quickly pecked his cheek but Ryder’s reflex action seemed to be faster that she had anticipated. He quickly turned his face and the kids landed at the corner of his mouth. Embarrassed beyond words, Anastasia pulled away and tried to calm her trembling body and rapidly beating heart that was threatening to jump out of its ribcage. 

“Now it’s mine as well. I gave you what you asked for,” she said in a shy voice. Ryder grinned and handed the pack over to her. Anastasia’s face brightened up and she popped one into her mouth, closing her eyes and savoring the delicious treat. Ryder watched her mesmerized by her. His glance went towards her soft lips which made his heart skip a beat or two. He had kissed many girls but never did his heart jump with excitement that too at something as innocent as a peck on the cheek.  Her lips were a tease and made him crave for more. Anastasia blushed under his scrutiny. Why was Blue staring at her? Was she eating like a monster? She looked at him just in time to see him looking away. 

“We can share this. I have muffins in my backpack. Could you please get it?” she asked hesitantly. Ryder nodded and got up to get her backpack. He came back in a minute and handed it to her. Then he sat down to share the treats with her. 

“I have a big match next weekend. I shouldn’t be eating so much sweet treats,” said Ryder, popping the third chocolate muffin into his mouth. “But this is too delicious to resist,” he said. 

“I made them,” she said shyly, making Ryder give her a look of disbelief. “My grandparents run a bakery and I usually make these treats for the shop,” informed Anastasia. 

“You’re a pro at this! So do you wish to own a bakery shop some day?” He asked curiously. 

“No, no, I’ll be a Fashion Designer,” she told him quickly but her eyes lost the luster as she said so. It made Ryder think for a moment that she didn’t want to be a Fashion Designer. Then why was she choosing a career she didn’t want? “What do you want to do after completing your studies? You’re in finance, right?” asked Anastasia to stop him from asking further questions. 

“How do you know that I’m studying Finance?” asked Ryder curiously. 
“Renée told me,” said Anastasia shyly. 

“Don’t you have anything else to talk about?” asked Ryder with a deep smirk on his face. “I could tell you more about myself if you’re interested,” he said leaning forward. Anastasia moved backwards with horror. Was he thinking of kissing her? 

“I’m not interested to know more about you. Renée talks about you and keeps warning me,” she said, staring at her food to avoid his gaze. 

“But I’m interested to know more about you,” said Ryder with a wink. Anastasia looked away not wanting to share anything more than she already did. Apart from Renée, no one knew so much about her. In fact Renée too didn’t know everything about her. She kept all her secrets deeply hidden in her soul. 

“There’s nothing to know about me. You were right about me. I’m boring,” she said quietly. Ryder noted the change in her tone, as if she was going back to a shell. Maybe she really wasn’t comfortable talking about herself.  

“At least you could tell me where you’re studying,” asked Ryder. 

“I’m just doing a crash course on Fashion Styling and Image consultancy in Great Falls,” said Anastasia.