Chapter Six

“What do you mean?” Asked Ryder looking puzzled. “What sacrifice?” He wanted to know very badly. Anastasia shook her head 

“It’s a very long story, Blue. Maybe some other time. I really don’t want to spoil my mood now,” she said much to Ryder’s dismay. Patience wasn’t one of his virtues and Anastasia’s words made him all the more restless to know everything about her. 

“I love long stories,” he said, looking dejected.

“You’re looking like a child whose candy I’ve snatched away,” laughed Anastasia. Renée’s brother was funny not to mention hot. How did she miss him on her previous visits here? 

“You have actually but well, I guess I’ve to be more patient,” he mumbled. Anastasia smiled. 

“I’ve come to Fordsville every holiday for the last seven years. How is it possible that I’ve never met you?” she asked with curiosity. 

“I don’t know. Maybe I was away at college or somewhere,” Ryder shrugged. This was a question that even he didn’t have an answer to. 

“Maybe you were out on your dates. Ren told me that you like to go out with girls,” said Anastasia shyly, looking away. Ryder’s jaws dropped at Renée’s betrayal. 

“F*ck! What else did Renée say?” he asked. Anastasia shrugged.

“Nothing much. Just that I should be careful around you,” said Anastasia hesitantly. Ryder shook his head feeling let down. It was true that he was a playboy, it was true that he liked hit girls but how could she bad mouth him to her best friend? What Anastasia might be thinking of him right now! 

“Right. So why don’t you listen to your best friend?” asked Ryder, staring ahead grumpily. 

“It’s okay. You don’t need to take offense, Blue. Renée’s very protective of me,” said Anastasia softly. Ryder turned towards her.

“In that case I think you should stay away from me,” said Ryder, getting up and walking towards the edge of the lake, leaving her all alone in the tent. Anastasia rolled her eyes. So much for staying and protecting her from her probable abductors! She watched Ryder roll up his sleeves as he stood on the sand shores, watching the turquoise, crystalline water beyond. From the tent, she could see his muscular, veined forearms and felt the butterflies dance in her stomach. He bent down and rolled up his denim jeans, opening his shoes and wading towards the edge of the water, cupping it and washing his, hands, face and neck. Anastasia gazed at him, hypnotized by his ripped body. The sun’s rays played with his hair and as he bent over for more water, the jeans strained at the b*tt, making him look too hot to look away. 

Ryder cupped some water and dashed towards her, a boyish grin breaking out on his face. Before she could sense what he was up to, he splashed the water on to her face.

“Ryder!” she scolded with shock. 

“Isn’t the water awesome? C’mon, I’ll carry you to the edge,” he offered. 

“No, I’d rather stay here,” she protested but Ryder wasn’t taking a no for an answer. He reached down and scooped her up, one strong arm under her knees and another around the middle of her back and walked effortlessly towards the edge of the water.

“Blue, put me down please,” she pleaded, looking around embarrassed. There was no one around thankfully to see them. 

“Don’t worry, your best friend can’t see you. You won’t be answerable to her,” said Ryder with an eye roll. The way he held her so tenderly against his chest quietened her and she didn’t protest any longer. A strange wish to stay in his arms filled Anastasia’s heart and it made her restless. She couldn’t afford to stay anywhere. Her future was predestined when the Farrell’s had adopted her. She had a purpose in life. She couldn’t afford to like Renée’s brother!