Chapter Twenty-Two

“Please granny, don’t take the call. I know what mom wants to say. I want to attend Renée’s birthday tomorrow. I’ll call mom after the party, please?” Begged Anastasia. She knew her mom would ask her to return home right away, maybe next week itself. She wouldn’t listen to any excuse and would definitely be furious if she heard that she was going to a party. Granny sighed and refrained from taking the call. The phone rang thrice and finally stopped. 

The whole night Anastasia had a fitful sleep, waking up every now and then with fear. So when it was morning, she overslept. Granny didn’t wake her up since she knew that once her mom took her away, she wouldn’t be allowed to return back to them. They would be so lonely without her. 

It was 8 o’clock in the morning when Anastasia woke up to the sound of her mobile phone vibrating. She sat up startled and checked her phone. It was indeed her mom calling again. She quietly sat and watched the light flashing on the screen. After two calls, thankfully her mom gave up. Anastasia freshened up and went downstairs only to be greeted by a grave looking granny and a sad and melancholy grandpa. 

“Good morning, dear,” said granny, handing her a mug of warm milk and cookies. 

“Good morning, granny, grandpa! What happened to you both?” she asked, feeling worried. 

“Your mom already called twice. I think she wants you back urgently. I’m just dreading this,” said granny. Anastasia sighed. 

“She called me as well. Don’t worry, granny. I’ll call her back after the party tonight. I don’t want to spoil my mood now.” She told them. The rest of the day, they went about their usual work but Anastasia couldn’t stop her heart from beating faster at the thought of meeting Ryder, maybe for the last time. Granny and grandpa were melancholy the whole day and Anastasia felt bad for them. They were lonely and she was the only one who cared for them. 

“Cheer up, Ana, I’m sure you'll be able to come and see us sometimes,” said granny. Anastasia smiled sadly. She knew how dictating her mom and Madame Slovene could be. 

“I’ll try, granny. I’ll try a lot,” she just said softly. It was evening and time to go to Renée’s house. After closing down the bakery shop, they all got ready to go. Anastasia wore the beautiful midnight blue dress that she had bought for the party. It clung to her curves making her look grown up and extremely beautiful. Granny approved of her look and grandpa drove them to Renée’s house. When they reached, the party had already started and everyone had already gone to the venue. 

Anastasia entered the place decorated lavishly with balloons and glittering streamers, in shades of purple, lavender and berry. Her eyes searched anxiously not for the birthday girl but for her Blue. Renée seemed busy getting ready in her room while Rihanna and aunt Helena came forward to welcome them. Her granny was whisked away towards granny Jenny, who was Renée’s grandmother. Her grandpa joined the men and soon they walked towards the appetizers, helping themselves already. 

Ryder watched her from the back door of the venue, he knew that her eyes were searching for him. He was waiting to catch her eye. He wouldn’t show his eagerness for her, he was only a friend to her after all! The last few days he had been battling with himself trying to reason in his head that she didn’t want a relationship with him. You cannot force someone, can you? His heart couldn’t accept it and he was having a hard time restraining himself. The best way to restrain himself was to stay away from her and he was doing just that, yet it wasn’t working. Everyday, he watched her from afar, working at the bakery, smiling at everyone around her and his heart grew restless but he had promised her that he would be just a friend to her and he maintained that promise. 

At last her eye met with his and they brightened up. She smiled and walked up to him. Ryder stood straight, his heartbeats accelerating as she approached him. He saw how gorgeous she looked, almost like a fashion queen, a diva. No wonder she had no interest in a small town cowboy like him. She might be destined for bigger things, for fame, for stardom, for success!