Chapter Seventeen

Anastasia was dumbstruck by his words. They weren’t even in a relationship, then how could she belong to him? All they had between them was an incomplete kiss!

“Umm, are you pit of your mind, Blue? How can you say that?” She whispered, looking back at him.

“Why does it seem so impossible to you? Why can’t you belong to me? I mean, I like you a lot, Annie. I’m sure that you already know that by now,” said Ryder in a husky voice. Anastasia was stunned by his admission. Did he really mean it? Maybe he said these things to each and every girl he met. She was unsure whether to believe him or not.

“I don’t know what to say to you, Blue. I’m a very simple-hearted girl and if these are things you say to all the girls who you fancy, then I think you should stop. And if not, then you need to know that I’m not free to like anyone, ever. I’m meant for sacrifice. Please don’t ask me anything more than this. I can’t tell you more,” she said quietly. Ryder quietly tried to absorb what she just now told her. He just couldn’t understand what sort of sacrifice she was talking about. He remembered her mention it before. 

“The other girls run after me, it’s never the other way around. So I don’t need to say these things to anyone. You’re the first one I’ve ever said them to, Annie. They’re my true feelings, please believe me,” said Ryder earnestly. Anastasia was touched by his words. She believed him but did she have any choice? She knew that her mom would arrive soon to fetch her. She was simply stalling her departure, dreading the day she had to leave Fordsville forever. 

“You shouldn’t say them to me, Blue. I’ll soon have to leave Fordsville forever,” she said, her eyes depicting a lot of pain and helplessness. 

“Why do you need to leave Fordsville? No one can force you to. You’re eighteen, an adult,” reasoned Ryder. 

“You won’t understand, Blue. I just have a month at the most,” she said softly, almost in a whisper. Ryder gaped at her with shock. He had no idea that she would leave so soon. He looked lost and wanted to plead with her to stay. His heart started constricting at the thought of her leaving.

“Don’t go, Annie. I’ll talk to your grandparents. I’ll talk to your parents. I won’t let you leave,” he said in an anguished tone, his voice breaking a little. He caught her hand tightly as if she was leaving right now. 

“My grandparents are helpless. They cannot stop me, Blue. It’s of no use,” she said with a sigh. 

“Then tell me whom I should beg? I can do anything to stop you,” cried Ryder. Anastasia stared at his anguished face and felt her heart breaking. She wanted to stay, not because of anyone but for Ryder. He really seemed to like her just as much as she liked him. 

“You can’t do anything,” she sighed dejectedly. 

Anastasia’s phone buzzed with an incoming call from Renée. She accepted the call knowing that Renée would be looking for her. “Where are you Ana? I’ve been looking for you for so long,” she yelled into the phone. Anastasia looked at Ryder with apprehension, her fingers going to her lips to gesture to him to keep quiet.

“I just came to get some fresh air. I’ll be right there, hang on,” she said quietly. 

Renée quietened down upon hearing her. “Is my brother with you?” she asked softly. Anastasia sighed knowing that she might have missed Ryder as well. There was no point in hiding it from her. 

“Yes,” she said softly. She could hear Renée’s chuckle as she disconnected the call. Anastasia looked at Ryder who was watching her with interest.

“You told her? Now she’ll start blackmailing me,” said Ryder with a grin, rolling his eyes. 

“She guessed it already. What else could I do?” Anastasia defended herself. “I think we should go back before they start searching for us,” said Anastasia. Ryder chuckled.