Chapter Fourteen

It was evening and Renée was about to get ready to go to Anastasia's house when she saw an excited Ryder, striding out of his room wearing his favorite tee shirt. 

"What? You're not ready yet? Hurry," he said, pulling a strand of her hair as he walked past her. 

"Where are you off to wearing that?" Asked Renée curiously. 'Please God! Don't make him come along with me,' She prayed in her mind. 

"Why? Didn't your friend tell you that she's invited me too?" Asked Ryder with surprise. Renée's jaws dropped. 

"No way. You might have invited yourself over, " shrugged Renée, walking towards her room grumpily. Ryder chuckled but didn’t tell her the truth. Since Anastasia had requested him to keep it to himself, he’d always keep his promise to her. 

"Whatever, I'm going. Be ready in five minutes. We'll go together, " he yelled after her, going to the living room to wait for her. 

Afterwards when Renée walked out of her room, she saw Sawyer standing broodingly, leaning on the doorway to the dining room. With the whole family going out to dinner Renée didn’t want to go, leaving him alone at home. There were people to look after the pregnant horse, Ebony because of whom he stayed back. She walked up to him instead of following Ryder out. "Come  with me Sawyer? Even Ryder's going, " she coaxed him.

"I don't want to be an unwanted guest," he told her softly. 

"You won't be. We'll be picking up some gift for her from the marketplace. Just give her a little gift and she'll be happy, " said Renée, catching hold of his hand to pull him along.

"Ma, I'm going with Ryder and Ren," he yelled as they left. "Are you sure that you want me to go with you? I'm not adequately dressed, Ren. You'll be ashamed of me," he said, looking at his jeans and plain white tee shirt. 

"Shut up Sawyer. You look good in anything you wear," she said with an eye roll. 

"You too are coming along, bro?" Asked Ryder with a grin. He was relieved to have another guy since Anastasia might be inviting only her girlfriends.

"Yeah, I forced him to come along. He'd be bored all alone at home," said Renée with a shrug. Renée sat at the back seat while Sawyer sat with Ryder in front. They first went to a gift shop to buy something for Anastasia. 

After buying gifts, they reached Anastasia's house in a few minutes.  Ryder parked his truck and Renée jumped out, trudging all the way towards Anastasia's front door. However, before she could knock, the door was flung open and Anastasia came out to hug her. 

"At last, she arrives! “said Anastasia, rolling her eyes. "What took you so long?" She scolded her best friend. Then her eyes went towards Sawyer and she widened with disbelief. "Are you two together now?" She whisper asked. 

"Not now, shhh," said Renée, looking embarrassed.  She just hoped that Sawyer didn't hear her. Anastasia grinned at her in response. 

"Hey, Anastasia, happy birthday!" Said Sawyer, handing his gift out to her. She grinned happily accepting the gift. 

"Thanks Sawyer, " she said, taking the gift. "Come on inside," she said, looking towards the garage as if expecting someone else.

"He's here too," chuckled Renée knowing fully well that she might be looking for Ryder. 

"I know, I saw him," said Anastasia with a shy smile. Ryder walked towards Anastasia with a lazy grin in his face. His eyes scanned her from head to foot, loving the way she looked wearing the dress he had bought for her. He could imagine how she’d look in her wedding dress! Ryder groaned inwardly at the direction his thoughts were going towards. How could he possibly even think of such a thing? He had never thought like this for any other girl before!