Chapter Thirty-Four

The cruise at last was over and the yacht brought them back to the resort. The sun was about to set and they sat on the patio sipping the cool drink and appetizers that Ryder had ordered. “We'll leave in half an hour,” he said, glancing at her with a look of longing on his face. Anastasia’s voice was choked with emotions and she just nodded, not able to utter any words. She wanted to cling to this memory forever as a strange sense of dread overcame her. All the previous enthusiasm she felt before going on a cruise crumbled to dust when she received a message from her mom. 

Coming soon to take you to LA with me. 

Anastasia didn’t know how soon that would be but that simple message was enough to make her realize that she couldn’t go to Fordsville with Ryder. She didn’t tell Ryder anything as it would make him unhappy. She just lived the moment with him. 

The sun had set and Ryder got up reluctantly. He noticed that she had been exceptionally quiet throughout the cruise and wondered if something was up but he was afraid to ask. He didn’t want to spoil their date. The dark sky rumbled and he looked up warily. Did he hear it correctly or was it just his imagination? 

“I think a storm is approaching us,” said Anastasia, getting up. Another threatening loud rumble made everyone rush indoors. 

“Everyone get inside. A thunderstorm approaching us followed by a flash flood forecast. No one can leave the premises. All roads in and around the place have been blocked,” announced a staff member as he ran past them. Anastasia looked at Ryder with panic.

“Everything was fine a while ago. Was there any forecast of this?” she asked as Ryder led her inside their room. 

“I just forgot to check the weather,” he admitted, feeling guilty. 

“It hasn’t broken out yet. Can’t we just drive home fast?” asked Anastasia. Ryder shook his head, closing the door of their room and locking it well. 

“It’s not safe to go out now. These desert thunderstorms arrive in seconds carrying the double threat of flash floods and lightning,” said Ryder, moving the curtains and watching the storm approaching them. Anastasia panicked thinking about how she would return back if the roads were blocked due to flooding.

“When will we be able to return in case there’s a flood?” she asked, standing beside him and looking out with dread. Ryder shrugged. 

“It depends upon the severity of the flood. They can clear it in hours and we could return late tonight or maybe tomorrow morning,” he told her. Anastasia was distraught with worry by now.

“Tomorrow morning? But I have to return home tonight. You have promised dad, remember?” she reminded him. Ryder nodded.

“Of course, I remember but what can I do in case of a natural calamity?” he asked helplessly. “Why don’t you call up and inform your dad before the mobile network gets disrupted?” asked Ryder. Anastasia jumped up to do the same. 

“Wait, I’ll call uncle David and inform him. You can talk after I speak to him,” said Ryder. Anastasia nodded and sat down watching him talk to her dad. 

“Yes, uncle David,  I’ve booked us a room at the resort. The mobile network might get disrupted soon, so I thought of informing you now,” said Ryder.

“Flash floods are bad. I’m glad that you’ve informed me. You can come home tomorrow morning,” said her dad. 

“Thank you, uncle David. Annie wanted me to drive her home after the storm but I didn’t want to take the risk,” he told her dad. Anastasia anxiously sat listening to their conversation.