Chapter Forty-Five

“I won’t let you go. You have to stay for at least two weeks. That’s the only way you’ll make me happy,” said Ryder stubbornly. 

“Why don’t you want me to go? You have moved on already. You don’t need me any longer,” pointed out Anastasia.

“Are you jealous of Hailey?” Asked Ryder excitedly.

“No, you’re welcome to marry her. Leave my hand. I’ll book my ticket and go back where I’m wanted,” said Anastasia stubbornly. 

“What if I say that I want you and not Hailey? What if I say that I love only you and not Hailey? Will you then give me a chance? Will you then spend a few days with me? It’s all I’m asking of you Annie,” said Ryder earnestly. Anastasia gazed into his eyes and saw the truth in them. Could she hope that he loved only her? Could she hope of a life with him? Could she talk to Madame Slovene once and see the results? Could she at least try what her heart desired?

Ryder pulled Anastasia into his arms and started a slow dance with her. With her body flush against his, and his breath fanning her cheeks, Anastasia was in a magical trance. She had wanted this for a long time. She lay her head on his shoulders as they danced to the beautiful romantic song, My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion. "So how long will you be staying, Annie?" He asked hopefully when he didn’t get any answer to his question earlier. 

"I'll stay for two weeks," she told him with a small smile playing on her lips. If she had any say in this, she would have stayed longer. She loved Fordsville but she was helpless right now. Maybe it would all change when she was able to talk to Madame Slovene later. They danced, lost in one another and when the song was over, he pulled her along with him outside the venue. 

"Where are we going, Ryder?" She asked, looking around the moonlit ranch. She had so many memories here. This place looked like the home where she could come back to. Wherever she went, there was no place better than this. Because of one man who always stood by her like a rock, helping her unconditionally, loving her dedicatedly for the last few years. 

"Just walking around with you, " he told her, smiling a little at her. Her heart went out to him, he looked so lost and dejected with all his siblings settling down with their girls. Yet he never demanded that she leave everything in Los Angeles and return to him forever. She intertwined their hands and walked side by side together, breathing in the cool night air. She would carry this memory of him all her life. 

"Ryder, will you forget me?" Asked Anastasia, her throat choked with raw emotions bottled up inside her. She wanted to know whether he'd wait for her when she was finally free from her obligations. She had no idea how long it would take to convince Madame Slovene but she would definitely try. She didn’t want to give up on Ryder. 

"Can you ever forget to breathe, Annie?" He asked in return, his eyes searching hers, trying to tell so many things which he couldn't say. 

Anastasia felt tears pool into her eyes. "Will you wait for me?" She whispered, hopefully. 

"Forever, " he told her. Anastasia couldn't control herself anymore. She grabbed his head and pulled him down towards her. Her lips crashed to his, tasting his warm one with a crazy abandon. It was a passionate kiss to tell him how she felt about him, how much she loved him. Maybe one day she would be free to come back home to him. She would stay in his arms forever! 

Ryder pulled her closer to his body and his hand caught the back of her head as he dominated the kiss, his mouth scorching hers with the burning desire that coursed through his body. He had been dying to kiss her for so long and now when he could, it wasn’t enough. He wanted to fuse his mouth to hers forever. With their hearts brimming with love for one another, the kiss turned passionate, lingering and intense. Anastasia kissed him back with equal fervor, making him groan and pull her closer. 

The sound of cheering coming from inside made them pull apart. Anastasia steadied her breathing and they intertwined their hands and slowly walked back to the party. Both were too emotionally overwhelmed to speak, as their heart welled up with only one feeling. A feeling to feel complete, a need to belong to one another forever. When they went inside the cake cutting ceremony had just started. They congratulated the newlyweds and enjoyed being with the family till Sawyer whisked Renée away to their new home. 

“I’ll drop you home,” said Ryder, pulling her along. 

“I have grandpa’s car with me,” said Anastasia.

“I’ll ask one of the ranch hands to drop it at your house. Give me the keys,” said Ryder, adamant to drop her. The next two weeks would be the most beautiful moments of his life and he was determined to make the most of it. He would make memories with his one and only love. 

Anastasia climbed into his car with any further argument. She handed him her grandpa’s car keys. As Ryder drove her home, he placed his hand possessively on her thigh, making a warm flush travel up her body. Anastasia was acutely aware of his touch and the warmth seeped through the material of her dress to her skin, making her tingle all over. 

“So how do you start your day in LA?” he asked with interest. “I’ve seen bits and pieces of your interviews on fashion channels on TV,” pointed out Ryder. 

Anastasia explained how hectic her days would be. She told him what all she had to do while Ryder listened to her intently as he drove. He realized how different her lifestyle was from his. She would never be happy here in this small town with him. “You’ve become a celebrity already! So are you happy there?” he asked curiously. Anastasia gave him a look of surprise. No one had asked her if she was happy in her new responsibilities. She wasn’t happy but she was content that she could give her mom’s soul some peace, that she could keep the promise she gave to her mom on her deathbed. 

“I’m not doing this for my own happiness, Blue. I’m just fulfilling the promise I made to my mom on her deathbed. She was in her last stage of cancer and wasn’t responding to treatment else she would be the one in my shoes. Madame Slovene had adopted her and brought her up as her own child but with both of them sick, I was the only one Madame Slovene could trust. Anson isn’t interested in the fashion industry at all,” said Anastasia. 

“Hmm, still are you happy?” insisted Ryder as he parked the car in front of her grandparents house and switched off his ignition. He turned towards her and waited anxiously for her reply. Anastasia thought for a while. No she wasn’t happy because her heart wanted to be with the man she loved.

“No,” she whispered softly, a warm blush crept up her cheeks seeing Ryder lift an eyebrow at her with interest. 

“Why not? You have everything that a woman could ask for. Don’t you?” asked Ryder, his heartbeats accelerating further while his breath was stuck in his throat as he waited anxiously for her to answer him.

Anastasia blushed more and looked down at her hands, fidgeting with them nervously. “I don’t have you,” she whispered but Ryder was already leaning closer and heard every word she uttered. 

“Do you want to have me in your life?” he asked, his eyes burning a hole in her face. Anastasia’s eyes flew up to his and stared at him hypnotized by the blue orbs that held her gaze like a magnet.

“Yes, don’t you?” she asked in return. Ryder’s arms picked her up and placed her on his lap, straddling him. He crushed her to the entire length of him, his eyes flashing with burning flames of desire. He crashed his lips to hers in a hungry and wild kiss, to show how much he desired her. Anastasia clung to his shoulder for support as she kissed him back with equal fervor. It was a heated kiss as both couldn’t control the intense desire that refused to be satisfied. Ryder released her at last and his dark eyes gazed back at her. 

“Could you feel how much I need you in my life? If I had my way, I could fight the entire world for you,” said Ryder. Anastasia felt a little bolder hearing his statement. Could she hope now?

“Then talk to Madame Slovene for my hand? Maybe she will give in?” asked Anastasia hesitantly.