Seventeen (17) - Her Question

{Long Chapter Ahead - 5,860 words}

Why do I feel awkward? Y/n thought.

Y/n and Jean are both sitting on a log bench. They're both have been silent ever since they saw each other earlier.

The thing is, it's like they're both thinking who should talk first.

And probably wondering why they're suddenly awkward with each other.

It's only two week that passed since they saw and talked to each other.

But the h/c girl already feels like she hasn't seen Jean for a long time.

Maybe it's because she's used to seeing Jean all the time and being with the young man as if they're twins that cannot be separated, that two weeks of not seeing the young man is already a long time for her.

"Are your injuries okay now?" Y/n internally sighed in relief when Jean finally spoke, breaking the awkward silence between them. Y/n touched her stomach. She's still wrapping her stomacb with a bandage to support her broken ribs, but she's already feeling more better now than before.

"I'm getting better." Y/n said.

Jean's brows furrowed as he looked at Y/n who's just staring at nowhere.

He doesn't know why he wasn't contented with how Y/n answered him. She answered simply, no extra statements which Y/n always does. She never leaves out any detail...why? And why does it seem like she's...we feel so distant with eavh other?

Jean brushed off his thought, maybe he's just over thinking. "I heard from Eren that you're in Hanji-san's squad. The forth division. It's good to--"

"Why are you here?"

Jean's brows shot-up when Y/n asked him that question, totally cutting off what he wanted to say. He was trying to strike a good conversation with the h/c girl. "Huh? What do you mean?"

Jean felt himself starting to feel anxious upon seeing the serious look on Y/n's face. She's...she's not happy that I'm here, isn't she? Jean thought.

The young man noticed Y/n's hands that are placed on her lap clenching tightly. "Why did you join the survey corps? Why are you here? I thought you wanted to become an MP?" Y/n asked. She stood up and faced Jean.

Jean looked up at Y/n, his brows are still furrowed because of his genuine confusion. "I think you can guess why I am here." Jean said. Y/n just stared at Jean, she looked so serious...no she looks annoyed. "Is there a problem?"

Jean noticed how Y/n clenched her jaw tightly. The h/c girl took a deep breath. "You shouldn't have come here, Jean. You should've just joined the military police brigade and stayed inside the interior. Just like what you have always wanted to do." Y/n said.

Jean felt annoyed.

He doesn't like being told what he should do. He takes orders but only when it's reallt important. He accepts advices but only when it's necessary.

"I did not come here because I want to. I came here because I need to." Jean said.

Y/n felt her annoyance rose up.

It's not the answer she wants. She doesn't even know what's the answer she wants from Jean."So what? What exactly are you gonna do in here?"

"Huh? What do you mean, idiot? Of course I'm here to fight the damn titans outside the walls." Jean said.

"And then? You're gonna die while fighting them?" Y/n bluntly asked which made Jean to shut his mouth.

Y/n clenched her fists even more tight. "I'm certain that when commander Erwin invited you all to join the survey corps, he was clear about how many scouts dies whenever they go outside the walls. So why did you join this regiment? I know you don't want to die because you have dreams, Jean. Living a comfortable life in wall Sina, in the interior as a member of the MPB. So why did you have to come here and waste your life?" Y/n asked.