Twenty-Two (22) - How To Let Go

{Long Chapter Ahead - 5,525 words}

"Well, for now, we gotta make do with this..." Hange said as she wiped her sweat and stared at far nowhere, the brunette along with her squad and minister Nick are on top of the wall.

The survey corps just finished covering the wall with titan sheets.

Hange removed her eyeglass goggles and let it stay on their forehead. They side-eyed minister Nick who's beside them and kneelong down while looking down at the covered wall.

"Real repairs will start after sunset. For the time being, the breach is being folled with quick drying filler compound, at the same time the weakened parts next to the breach are beibg strenghtened." Hange said.

"Mnhm. That shall do." Minister Nick said. He looked at Hange. "Do you think the citizens saw this?" He asked.

"The citizens in the vicinity are trying to keep away from this place because of the battle, but I can't guarantee that no one saw anything." Hange said.

Minister Nick just nod then looked at the covered wall once again. "I see..."

"Well, now...it's time for us to talk, don't you?" Hange said.

"About what?" Minister Nick asked.

"What us that titan? Why is there a titan inside the wall in the first place? And...why have you people...keep quiet about it the whole time?" Hange asked, but minister Nick remained silent. "I'd like you to answer these questions." Hange seriously said.

Minister Nick stood up and looked at Hange. "I can not do that. I am a busy man. My church and my followers are in utter chaos right now. And it is all your fault, you insolents. I shall make sure to demand indemnities for all the damage you have caused. Now, let me off the wall." Minister Nick said.

"Alright." Hange said.

Nick and Hange's squad were surprised when Hange grabbed Nick's collar and pushed him towards the edge of the wall. "Would you like to be let off from right here?" Hange asked.

Minister Nick held onto Hange's wrist tight, scared that he might fall.

"Squad leader!!" Moblit said.

Hange looked at Moblit and her squad. "Stay away!" Hange said.

Hange's squad had no choice but to follow what they said.

Hange glared at minister Nick.

"What do you think you are doing?! Yoh are being ridiculous!" Nick said.

"It's you who's beinh ridiculous here." Hange said.

"You are committing a grave offense! And you're committinh a deadly sin against humanity by stepping on it's right to life." Minister Nick said.

Hange ignored what Nick said and remained glaring at the minister. "The reason why your sect has been so vocal in your protests against the plans about the wall's reinforcement and building of an underground tunnel is what we see in that gap, isn't it...? It was the monarchist government that granted you the right to decide matters concerning the wall, correct? That is...your little cult is not the only ones who know this secret...I can't even imagine how many people are in the know."

The brunette's joyful demeanor completely is gone right now and all that can be seen in Hange is anger.

"And yet...do you guys know the reason why we, the survey corps, shed our boood? It's to get back the freedom that titans stole away from us...we're willing to pay with our lives for that. We've been continuously putting our lives on the line for a chance to make a progress, however small, towards that goal, believing that someday it will pay off. When humanity gets finally released from the grips of the fear that is titans... until now, we've never managed to get any information as important as what we saw here...but even now... you're still trying to play dumb with us? Do you have any idea how many comrafes we had to abandon to the fate of being devoured by titans...? You don't, don't you? And all this time you guys have been keeping quiet about the truth...you had the nerve to keep quiet..." Hange said.