Fifty (50) - Under The Moonlight

{Long Chapter Ahead - 7,545 words}

"You didn't know? Training corps instructor Shadis...was the 12th commander of the survey corps, just before Erwin. It's been a while since we've seen him, too." Hange said.

--

Levi, Hange, Y/n and the whole Levi squad arrived at the training corps, and it's a good timing because Keith Shadis is just outside, observing the new batch of cadet corps' trainees.

They all made theit way towards the strict instructor. "Instructor Shadis."

Keith looked back at his old students, even his once two soldiers, Levi and Hange. Eren saluted at the instructor.

Sasha is hiding behind Jean, until now she's still terrified to their instructor.

--

"You're not going to sit, Braus?" Commandant Shadis asked the potato girl who remained standing on the side, while everyone's already sitting.

"No! I'm quite all right here!" Sasha said, sweating and trembling a bit.

Y/n's lips twitched, she picked up her cup of tea then sipped on it, her eyes showed a glint of happiness upon looking back to their trainee days.

"...Yes, I suppose the reason I used to summon you herebin the past was to rake you over the coals." Shadis said.

He stared at his old students.

"It's only been a few months...but you've all changed so much I barely
recognize you." The bald-man said.

"And I guess the last time we saw you...was five years ago." Levi spoke. "You, um...changed a lot, too..."

"It was the first time a new commander of the survey corps had ever been named while the old one was still alive. I'd replaced my own useless self with someone talented. Perhaps you could call it the one act of mine that had merit." Shadis said.

"Commander Shaids...I mean, instructor." Hange spoke. "Have you figured out why we're here to speak to you just as we may have figured out how to retake wall Maria?"

Shadis looked at Eren. "Eren...you remind me of your mother." Eren, Mikasa and Armin were surprised. "The fangs lurking beneath those eyes...as unmistakably your father's."

Eren slammed his hand on the table as he aggresively stood from his seat. "Tell me, please! Tell me everything you know! The green-eyed boy said.

Shadis looked down. "To be blunt...I don't know anything. But if you'd like yo heat a story with no benefit whats-over to humanity, I'll tell you." Shadis said. Eren sat back down on his chair.

"I was just a bystander..."

"But here's what I remember. I met Grisha...twenty years ago, now? We met outside the walls. We were returning from an expedition, and I remember the titan encounter rate was much lower than normal...then, just outside the Shiganshina gate in wall Maria...he appeared."

Instructor Shadis went on telling his past meeting with Grisha, while everyone intently listened to him.

"He was a strange man. He truly knew nothing. About the history and creation of these walls, names of places...even the concept of money. I wasn't sure whether it was drink that har done it, but it did seem that some-thing truly had impaired his memory. And he seemed particulaty interested im how humans lived. When I told him the truth about how things were..." Shadis also mentioned how he knew Eren's mother, Carla and how Carla and Grisha met each other.

"Special. Chosen. It was the first time anyone had ever called me that. It's true that I was different from the rest. I never felt like there was a place for me within the walls. Yes...that world... was too cramped for me. Keep yapping, you average men. If I could just become commander, I'd be able to get results. You pathetic vermin don't even realize that you're living in rats' nest. I swear, one day, I'll achieve something so great even your feeble brais will understand it's importance. On that day, no one will laugh at me. Everyone will finally understand. They'll all see who I really am."