Forty-Four (44) - Massacred

{Long Chapter Ahead - 7,116 words}

"This is the report on the Reiss estate that Erwin commissioned. If indeed Eren and Historia have fallen into the hands of the Reiss family...then it would be normal to think that their destination is the Reiss family land. Survey corps members disguised themselves as farmers and infiltrated the Reiss estate to conduct this investigation. As as far as the contents of the report go...about half of it was taken up by the details of a certain incident that rocked the Reiss family five years ago."

Y/n, Hitch, Marlowe and the whole Levi squad lend their ears to Hange as the brunette spoke. They're still on their way going to the Reiss's family land.

"The Reiss household was blessed with five children. And in addition to that, the lord of the estate had another child with a servant. Well...that itself isn't such a rare occurence. Aside from, that master of the land didn't have much of a bad reputation. The eldest daughter, Frieda, in particular, had a kind personality and was well-liked by everyone. She would often make her way out to the farmland to check on the welfare of the farmers on the estate. Everyone spoke of her as the pride of the estate. However...that night that wall Maria was broken, tragedy arose. Due to an attack by bandits taking advantage of the ongoing chaos, the village's only place of worship was looted, set ablaze, and ultimately completely razed. Nobody had taken notice of when they might have snuck into the village. That night, in the church...unfortunately... the entire Reiss family was praying in the aftermath of the wall Maria tragedy. Aside from Rod Reiss, the master of the house, the entire family was slaughtered by the bandits. This happened several days before Historia's mother was killed by the interior military police. Rod Reiss planned to make contact with Historia right after losing his family."

Y/n raised a brow, she looked back at the brunette. "Bloodties...is there something special with their blood? Like their bloodline?" Y/n asked.

Hange let out a sigh then shrugged. "Not really sure, but that's possible."

Y/n just nod her head.

She was distracted when she noticed Jean at her side, who's staring at her. Y/n stared back at the young man.

She mouthed "What?" to the young man, and Jean just shook his head.

"Hanji-san, so where are the two of them?" Mikasa asked the brunette.

"Yeah...let's put that aside for now." Hange said.  "What got my attention is that the church was completely destroyed." Y/n's brows furrowed.

"Of course, it'll be destroyed. It was set on fire. Unless it's made of stones." Y/n said.

Hange clicked her thumb and index finger 'cuz Y/n got it right.

"Yes, Y/n! You're right!" Hange said.

"Eh?"

"Just like you said, the church wasn't made of wood, but stones. It was quite sturdy. Indeed, even stone buildings can become fragile. Let's just say that these bandits just happened to have siege weaponry. Was there any need to go as far as to destroying the building? If it was really banditry, they would've just taken what they wanted and gotten out of there quickly. And further more...only Rod Reiss alone saw the bandits. And then he used his own finances to rebuilt that church right away...but why? It'd be more inexplicable if there wasn't any titans! These are just speculations on my part, but with these peculiarities alone, it would be worth us going to visit there!" Hange said.

Y/n let out a few sigh, she held the bridge of her nose and gently pinched it, trying to process everything that Hange said. "Got it." Y/n calmly said.

The young h/c lady then looked at their captain shorty. "Captain...?"